Paris at christmas

Markowenelliot

hi

We are going on holiday over xmas and staying in collegein and visiting disneyland on xmas eve and xmas day.

Also going to spend day in Paris and effiel tower on Boxing Day.

Where can we eat or do on these days, are restaurants open Xmas day, and do they need booking or just turn up?

Can I queue up for tower and go to top.?

Taxis buses etc for Xmas day?

Names of good places will be great and all advice is great.

Never been to France but looking forward to it and trying to remember my school French.lol

Thanks

I used to live about a five or six hour drive from Paris, and IF I had been going there for a period with bank holidays, I would have contacted their tourist office and asked. Or asked at the hotel I was staying at , or the people I was renting from.

I don't believe that any poster on here lives there, there maybe lurkers who do, but they do not post.

The first thing is that Dec 25th is of course a 'Bank Holiday' and there will be a metro and bus service, albeit reduced. This was from the official Paris Tourist Office site - just google it and there's loads of useful info on there.

Boxing Day doesn't exist in France - its just another day, which happens to be the 1st day back to work after Christmas.

Eiffel Tower - yes.

Restaurants - I would imagine that it would more difficult, but far from impossible on the 25th. My guess would be that family-run places are more likely to be closed and 'chain' places open. Only guessing though. No recommendations - if you apply my oft-used rule of thumb and have 5 meals, 1 will be memorable, 3 OK, and 1 awful.

Only transport suggestion would be to use the bus whenever possible. Its the same ticket as the Metro, which you can buy in 10's (carnet) in the Metro station. You'll see more on the bus, the network is extensive and the maps self explanatory.

One other 'must' (if that's your sort of thing) is the Musee d'Orsay, which has a wonderful art collection including a lot of 19thC impressionist work.

Enjoy your trip.

Disney on xmas eve and xmas day is a good idea.

All will be back to normal in Paris on the 26th. Certainly public transport will be working normally and you should not have any trouble finding somewhere to eat, as that is how it is everywhere else in France and I cannot see why Paris would be any different.