P&O Leaving Portsmouth

BJSLIV

There is one topic that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. I am of the opinion that this country is a member of the EEC, and a big payer at that. We as inhabitants of this island appear to be the only people in the EEC that have to pay to cross a border into any of the other member states. Everyone else in Europe can simply drive or jump on a train and travel wherever they like, but we meanwhile are made to cough up hundreds of pounds every time that we wish to cross the channel.

This situation has gone on for so long that we have accepted it as the norm. What the UK population as a whole should demand is the provision of free or very low cost travel across the channel. I live in Bristol and the only routes out are via Poole or Portsmouth. The ferry times are rarely convenient, and the journey duration is a farce. Those boats are going so slowly to save fuel that I could walk faster. Weekend travel used to be difficult, now it is impossible.

We should be writing to our MP's and our Euro MP's demanding that this discrimination be removed completely. Either we are equal or we are not, and at the moment we are not. What we are all doing is working our cotton socks off to pay our taxes, and those taxes are being used to benefit the corporate world in the south-east of England. The rest of us are left marooned.

All cross-channel routes should be funded by the EEC, as if they want our business and our cash then they should also accept that we are entitled to free and unrestricted passage throughout Europe just as they are. This means regular and fast sailings from a multitude of ports. Smaller ships travelling faster and more frequently would be good. If the travelling times were reduced we wouldn't need fancy restaurants, cinema's, huge staff numbers or the infrastructure to support them.

As for Brittany buying the P&O ships, I think that this whole thing merely adds support to the cartel theory and suggests that a pre-arranged agreement existed a long time ago to ensure that we were all exploited to the maximum. We have been exploited because we are stupid enough to accept it, but when you take a look at the whole picture it is plain to see that we have been taken for the ride of our lives by our own government, the EEC and the ferry operators.

The only way out of this is for people to start harassing the EEC for action. The one thing that they will respond to is an accusation of discrimination against the population of the UK and at present they have no defence.

Rob G

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so wish I could agree with your logic, but to start with your only routes out are not Poole and Portsmouth, they may be the most convenient to you but there is also Plymouth and you can fly from Bristol to quite a few French destinations.

As regards subsidised free travel - the UK knew the stretch of water existed when we joined!!

I agree it would be lovely if the UK goverment subsidised the boats, (like the French do BF ?)but if you buy a home in France the travel just has to be factored in the equasion.

Sorry

[quote]I have just looked at the Fly-be site and got a quote for a Southampton to Cherbourg flight in April for £9. Diana[/quote]

Diana, what dates? I've looked all through April and couldn't find anything that cheap.

Does anyone else find Flybe an irritating site? If you go back a page to try different dates you have to re-enter airport details, number of passengers etc

Nick

Some Wednesday to Wednesdays are certianly available at £9 each way in April, even with the taxes at £20 each way, I suppose a total of £58 return isn't bad.

Just checked even Saturday to Saturday in July is showing £9 each way. Some people may think its worth a punt a that price, even if they cancel the route , you wouldn't have lost anything.

Hello guys - a lovely blue sky but with strong winds here in Pompey!

Just to let you know that the 'Val de Loire' will be operating between Portsmouth and Cherbourg from January, doing either 1 or 2 sailings a day in each direction, so it would seem that BF are going to offer a reasonably regular service - Also i've heard that during this period you may well see the Prides operating for BF!

You may also be interested in the new names of the ships...

Pride of Le Havre is becoming the M/V Honfleur

Pride of Pompey is becoming the M/V Etratat

Good luck with peoples pronounciation of the latter - i mean some struggle with the Bretagne!

Interesting times ahead!

Ollie