11 year old child traveling alone to U.S.A.

Lori

My daughter is going to visit her Grandmother in July (North Carolina). She will be traveling alone. She did this last year with no problems, but I have since read several recent articles noting various problems that have arisen with children traveling alone. One was when a 10 year old boy was arriving to his destination city and the airline staff were instructing him to get on a different airplane to a different final destination point. The boy managed to prove to them that he was not supposed to be going any further than where he was, but the staff was all ready to put him on another plane !

I am trying to book her with the fewest connection points. We live near Avignon, so the closest "real" airport is Marseille or Nice. Avignon only flies into Orly. She would have to get over to CDG for her flight to the States, therefore Avignon is out of the question. We (I would accompany her) could take the TGV up to Paris CDG, but I am trying to find out which would be the most economical and safest for Katerina. Summer flight prices are outrageous - lucky me.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Any suggestions to make?

Thanks.

The first thing that comes to mind is to get a flight in the week before the holidays start. It is usually a lot cheaper. Maybe around the 21st of June. The kids don't usually do a lot a school this last week and it is only if they are doing their brevet that they have to be there.

If it worked last year, then would you really have to change company?

Any unaccompanied children we have ever seen always seem to have been well looked after and I' ve never seen anything to give me any cause for concern.

Any unaccompanied children we have ever seen always seem to have been well looked after and I' ve never seen anything to give me any cause for concern.

I agree

Would it be easier for her to travel NCE or MRS to U.K. London (Heathrow or Gatwick)?

Gill

I've been thinking about the odd places friends have had to use as a 'via' over the last few years. Our 'local' airports are Lyon and Geneva.

And people have been flown from either of these airports: To Zurich. To Frankfurt. To Munich. To Rome.  The good thing was that they have then had direct flights from these major airports. And I'm sure that you would be able use your 'local' airports to do this too.

What I have noticed is that Lufthansa always seems to serve lots of the major US airports direct from Germany.

I know that there is the internet, but some travel agents can still get good prices (not all). The travel agent in our local and rather small town is always very thorough and gets good deals too. And there is Nouvelle Frontieres.  We have had great prices from NF in the past.

Thanks everyone. Last year she flew from Nice to New York JFK and then on to North Carolina. It was the best routing we could find and it still exists this year. It is also THE most expensive routing. As far as travel agents go, Teamedup, you are so right, some can be far better than the Internet. We have one here in Carpentras that is super ! She always finds deals we never found online. We still have to pay the 90 euros EACH WAY for an unaccompanied minor on an International trip - but that is the only thing that makes me feel she is safe, so that is just the way it goes.

You are right, the ticket prices are SO much cheaper before July 1st. And, you are right that the last week ok school (at least in Ecole Primaire) is rather ridiculous - mostly games and fun time. So, perhaps it could save us a bundle to try an earlier flight. Plan to look into that tonight online - then later at the travel agency.

Many thanks for the support.

Lori