EEK! Hike in BF Property-Owners' Club subs...

Loiseau

Gosh, just printed out the membership renewal form from a Brittany Ferries email, and see that the new annual subscription has leapt from £55 to £80! 
As I only use them about once a year, I shall be seriously considering not paying this time...

Angela

Well, I was sure I had recently paid £55 plus £25 for an associate member card, making £80, which I can easily get back on just one peak season crossing. So I checked on the web site, and the form there says £125 for France membership. I hope that includes the joining fee...

Ah, that's true. I do have my daughter down as a co-member too, so she can come off for a start, as she has never used the facility! 
But the fact remains that it's a pretty big jump from £55 for the two to £80 for the two.

And yes, it's £70 joining fee in addition if you are not already a member.

Angela

As a regular user of BF from Poole or Portsmouth and  also a Property Owner Club card user...over a year its  a good  saving  and my son and family save as well with associate membership. But ....if  you have the time for a stopover ... and price is an issue ...with the new road links  I have found big savings can be made via Dover. Just for the hell of it I tried it this year .and got a return Dover / Calais for £59 and a stop over in a BB Hotel for 38 euros in Rouan and used the new motorway from there down to the South Vendee.

As my planned trip for the begining of March 07  out of Poole is showing  £250 for a low season fare.... with the owners club discount... come the summer rates ...I think BF will find more people going the long way round this year ....they are certainly using their monopoly position of these routes to rake it in ....

If you are looking to save money then you should also consider two other options that, for most, involve less travelling than the Dover routes. There is LD Lines between Le Havre and Portsmouth, which is a lot cheaper for summer weekends but the difference is rather less at this time of year, and Transmanche between Dieppe and Newhaven. There have been problems with the Transmanche service, and it is out to tender to find a shipping company, rather than a French local council, to operate it, so along with two new ships it seems set fro improvement. It is cheap, which seems the most important thing to many. The important thing about these two routes is that they do prevent a monopoly situation, at least out of Portsmouth.

Will I have just returned from two days in Court in the UK and since the beginning of September (when I was last over) could not believe the traffic on the M275 M27 A34 and M4 into Bristol.  My wife says it is a state of mind and if I were to be subjected to it on a day to day basis I would return to where I was before I left for France!

I do not think so and just could not wait to get back on to the ferry.

However Will you mentioned Celtic Line from Cherbourg and which is better for us than Caen or at least I prefer Cherbourg there is lots more going on better restaurants and I think Ouistreham is a tourist or should I say ferry trap.

Whatever Will I sent Celtic Line an email no response so I presume it is not going to happen?

regards

I