Peage doofahs lifetime

briwy

Only had our peage doofah for about 6 months but tried to use it about 6 weeks ago and it wouldnt play at all.

What is the general lifetime for these things and is there any way to test it before looking a complete idiot at a toll.

Assuming its conked out what is the easiest way to get it changed.

Thanks

Brian

Brian ...............

It could be it's positioning on your windscreen (should be up near your rear view mirror), but since it has presumably worked before, that's unlikely.

You just need to drop in to one of the 'boutiques' that are on the exit side of major peages and they should be happy to change it for you there and then.  In the meantime, take a ticket at the first peage and proffer your doofer with the ticket when you get to the paying peage. Be prepared to pay though, because if they can't scan it either, then ........  

[quote user="briwy"]Thanks Gardian

Going over at Easter so Ill try it at the first peage after Calais which I assume is classed as a major one.

Brian

[/quote]

You might be OK there (St Omer), but I wouldn't hold your breath.  Actually, saying that, you might not be heading that way!  Just plug on - you'll find one somewhere - but not between 12.00 - 14.00.

It took me till south of Lyon to find one that was open.  Bless em, they do often make it difficult to do business. 

If you use the A16 south past Boulogne, there is a Sanef office at the first Peage station. You can certainly get the little things there, but it might depend on which organisation you bought it from.

You haven't changed your car in that time perhaps? They won't work with the new athermic windscreens, unless you put them at the top, close to the rear-view mirror, on the bit covered with black dots.

[quote user="Brilec"]

You haven't changed your car in that time perhaps? They won't work with the new athermic windscreens, unless you put them at the top, close to the rear-view mirror, on the bit covered with black dots.

[/quote]

I think this would be the most likely reason.  my doofah (or doofer? ;))  is newish and it didn't appear to work in our hire car in November.  So  following my usual procedure of only reading instuctions if something doesn't work, I read about using it near the mirror in the dotted area, worked fine after that :)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Strange thing is it worked fine in October when we drove down to our place in the Pyrenees in our own car.

Went early December and flew to Pau and hired a car.  The doofah worked fine on the trip from the airport to our house but not a peep on the way back.

We will be driving down at easter in our car so perhaps it will work OK with a bit of percussive maintenance, otherwise Ill swap it ASAP.

Brian