Re-new passport

Jenny

[8-)]

Has any British citizen out there renewed their passport recently?

Will they just send a new out to a French address?

I read somewhere that you need to have an interview to renew a British passport!

[quote user="Jenny"]Thanks for that! As to the third question: Do you know when this starts? My passport not due until February?[/quote]

I think you can renew up to nine months in advance.

As an example we've recently renewed three months in advance and the new expiry date is 10 years and 3 months forward.

The British Embassy site should have this info.

Sorry about the terse answer but I had to go to the doc with the o/h!  Jay Jay and Benjamin have filled you in.  If you are going to the UK, even for a short time, it is also possible to make an appointment in advance with a passport office and renew it on site.  At a cost, they will produce it the same day (as they did for me).  My o/h, however, sent his to Paris in the post and it was back in 10 days.  Superb service.

[quote user="Deauville"]Benjamin - how do you get 300€ for 2 when the Embassy site shows the fee as 185€ each, or have I missed something?[/quote]

Yes, we had heard (maybe on this forum) that the cost  was increasing so that's why we renewed a bit early.

If you live in France, you are supposed to use the British Embassy here, although that is much more expensive. One other way of doing it would be to use their on-line service (Passport Office). Once you have filled in the form on-line, they send it to your UK address for you to add the photograph and return it with the payment. It will then be reurned to the UK address. I know of someone that renewed their UK passport in this way and had someone bring it out to them.

Paul