LD Lines ships...

MrCanary

Lost somewhere in another thread that changed subject matter part way through it, I read a comment about the quality of LD Lines ships...

It referred to them as old and suggested they were perhaps not suitable for purpose.

I have booked three trips with them over the next few months (albeit the first one with Transmanche) and when doing so, got the impression from their website that their ships were launched in 2006.

Is this not the case?

Not sure about the age of the boats and a few people have moaned about the pricing, service etc. All I would say is that we have used them twice and would not even think of going back to BF and their inflated prices.

The boat was clean, signage, to find your way around, was good and the crew were helpful. The food was acceptable and the cabins were clean, with good beds. They also have now fitted 180 degree recliners which we haven't tried but they certainly look better than you'll find on other ferries.

I guess you could say we like them.

The Transmanche ships (Cote d'Albatre and Seven Sisters), i.e. those used on the Newhaven routes, were indeed launched in 2006 and were purpose-built, in Spain, for the Newhaven-Dieppe service. So they are comparatively small, but should be highly suitable - apart perhaps from a tendency towards cancellation in bad weather, but this will no doubt be improved by LD Lines, who have stated a commitment to improve reliability.

The ship used on the Portsmouth route, the Norman Spirit, is the ex-P&O Stena Aquitaine, originally launched in 1991 as Prins Filip for the RTM Dover-Ostende service. Having been built, and subsequently adapted, for primarily freight operation on short crossings, she is not ideal for the much longer Portsmouth-Le Havre route, a shortage of proper cabins being the main drawback. However, the ship was the best that the company could get on charter at the time, and it has been unable to find anything better since.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a question regards booking/price/availibility inquiries on the LD website: what am I doing wrong, for all dates requested in May and June there is the message that there is no availibility from Portsmouth to Le Havre. Are they already fully booked?

Will is right.  I heard that these LD ships were originally built for the short hops across from Dover to Calais so they did not need any frills and fripperies, but when you are doing the trip to Caen a bit of comfort is certainly welcome!    My husband did try the LD once but said it was "Diabolical....." apart from the burger bar on board!, consequently we have used Brittany since.

[quote user="moya"]Will is right.  I heard that these LD ships were originally built for the short hops across from Dover to Calais so they did not need any frills and fripperies, but when you are doing the trip to Caen a bit of comfort is certainly welcome!    My husband did try the LD once but said it was "Diabolical....." apart from the burger bar on board!, consequently we have used Brittany since.[/quote]

The ship now Norman Spirit was originally the Prins Filip and was built for freight on the the RMT Dover-Ostende route. P&O Stena adapted it for Dover-Calais by removing most of the cabins (the Horizon Lounge was originally cabins) and renaming it a number of variations on Aquitaine. It now travels to Le Havre, not Caen. I agree with Mr Moya, its not a very comfortable ship and I dont like the food. The burger bar has, I am told, now gone. Mind you I travelled yesterday on the Mont St Michel and that too was pretty diabolical.

The other ships operated by LD, the Cote d'Albatre and Seven Sisters, were purpose built in Spain for the Transmanche Newhaven-Dieppe route.

We came back yesturday on the Norman Spirit... the recliner chairs are  very comfortable ...there were very few  people  on it  and we found it a very good value and a hassle free crossing  and the food was OK .They did  roast beef and roast  lamb .... and also  pasta dishes  as well as fish and chips and curry and chilli  dishes with rice in the self service for a reasonable price ..... no sign of a burger bar !

....Its the first time I have used it .....I noticed that in the seating area there are places that have  plugs handy for lap tops ....and some teenagers were into their games to keep entertained ..and some people were working ..I used mine to watch a DVD and nobody said anything ...it killed an hour . so ..I shall use them again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dangler...........I have a headphone splitter !...........not only can I  listen ....but  my wife can listen at the same time....on hers .......I know what you mean though......... it would brass me off as well to be surrounded by noise from games etc ......