Ryannair Brest to Luton

I notice on the website when you book for just a short flight with them that they state that you must have travel insurance. Do they actually ask you for this before you fly, does anyone know.  I do not take out specific travel insurance but my household policy covers me for luggage , but do they insist on seeing it? The fact is, it looks on the site like another way of getting you to buy theirs? That you feel you would not be allowed on the plane without it.

Georgina

[quote user="Georgina"]

I notice on the website when you book for just a short flight with them that they state that you must have travel insurance. Do they actually ask you for this before you fly,

[/quote]

No, they don't check, and it is not a requirement. In any case it is just an "opt-out" choice to not take their insurance (as with everything else on the Ryanair site!). If anything goes wrong with the flight, their first recourse is to say "Well, you should claim from your insurance".

[quote user="Georgina"]

The fact is, it looks on the site like another way of getting you to buy theirs?

[/quote]

Of course.

[quote user="Georgina"]

That you feel you would not be allowed on the plane without it.

[/quote]

No chance of that. It is easy to resist the pressure. It is not like the package tour operators who try to demand sight of your insurance policy. It takes too long, needs human intervention and for them to do it properly they would have to contact the insurance company to check the policy number and validity (which, incidentally, the tour operators don't do).

Pickles

I returned via Brest on tuesday after a family emergency required a visit back urgently and I took out their 14€ insurance cover which covered all sorts including medical treatment etc. I had to print out the policy with the number on it and take it with me to present IF SO REQUIRED by the boarding staff and it wasn't either at Brest or Luton, but I did feel better for having it especially for loss of luggage or in case of an accident whereby the costs would be covered.

Oh sorry to hear about your emergency Val.

However I do consider some policies to be a bit of a lottery.  When you read the small print, it seems that the first paragraph covers you then you read the what is not covered and it excludes most of the likely circumstances at the same time.  Like I was reading for holiday insurance I was buying, for instance:, you are covered for loss and theft of money, then it went on to say exclusions, so long as you keep it in a locked safe in the hotel!!! [:'(]  Then they take the excess from every part of your claim, so they have maximums and then take off say £100, so it is not worth claiming in the end, and the stress can make it worse trying to sort it out.

Also I was thinking about taking cancellation cover on my holiday recently, and it said if any close relative to you has visited the doctors within the last five years you must disclose it, then if they died for that reason, you could not be paid out (it does not matter if you do not know).   So Val, if you tried to get paid out, for instance, you went back for a family illness, say if you had to postpone coming back because someone was still seriously ill, then they would not pay out, as they were probably really ill before you went, whether you knew that or not.

So has anyone had a really successful holiday insurance claim, because I do not know one? I would really like to know.

Georgina[:)]

Thanks. To be honest I only had 24hrs in which to book a flight and insurance was not even considered until it came up onthe booking pages for Ryanair. Insurance is a lottery whether it be for holidays or vehicle cover, you never get out what they sell it to you for when it cvomes to claims.

Goergina - I have had a succesful claim - although I was not using one of the 'cheap' policies. No way would I trust anything with which Ryanair was involved!!

My wife was taken ill a week before our holiday a few years ago and the cover included with my NatWest Gold Card (as it was then) paid up without a murmur.

Andy