Travelling to the Gers via Rouen

dreamer

Hi would love some help.  We are travelling to our house in the Gers on Friday and, after the wonderful rugby result on Saturday, are now looking to avoid Paris and travel via Rouen.  I am sure I read somewhere that you have to go through Rouen and not around it.  If this is the case could someone let me know how easy it is to navigate.  We do have SAT NAV, something my husband swears is fail safe, but I still like to know where I am heading!  Many thanks.

When you arrive in Rouen from the motorway, you go through a tunnel at Darnetal.  Get in the slow lane and stay there.  Do not change lanes under any circumstances, no matter how tempted you are!  The road then will eventually cross the river and the lane you are in will corkscrew round underneath the road you've been on and take you onto a dual carriageway through an industrial estate and eventually to what many know as the "cow" roundabout (which has a herd of - not real, I hasten to add - cattle in the middle).  Go straight on, then look for the signs for the motorway.

Rouen is a complete doddle when you know how but a nightmare if you go wrong!

That's the route we take to the Gers. Succintly put Cooperlola - the road corkscrews round beneath where you are. I remember it well. Then you go onto somewhere called Evreux I think then eventually Orleans, which you bypass.

For some reason we have always gone through Paris, or rather round it, but our last jouney during the summer was a total nightmare and took us 2 hours!  That coupled with the fact that I am sure 60% of Britian will be heading to Paris on Friday we were very keen to find an alternative.  That's one beast of a cow - thanks for the peek preview!  Kids will love it. Thank you for the info. 

Hi

Fancy Shropshire and the Gers - SNAP!  We take the route through Rouen too and it is easy as long as you follow the signs.  Our teenage daughter drove down last year and even she didn't have any problems so don't worry.  We can drive from Calais to our house in Montreal du Gers in 10 hours with a couple of stops for coffee, lunch etc but it is a killer.  We're going down in a few weeks time and think we'll break the journey somewhere this time. 

Happy motoring [:D]

Hi

Its a small world!  It reassuring to know that it is possible in about 10 hours.  As its half-term and we only have limited time we have decided to do it in one.  We have a house in Mielan so a bit further on and have done the journey home in one day and it really is a killer especially from Folkstone to Shropshire.  Once you have gone through Rouen do you go Evreux down to Chartres and then A10/A71/A20?  How long have you had a place in Montreal du Gers?  Have often stayed at Chateauroux in Premier Classe and find it an ideal stopping point for the journey.  Close to the Autoroute so very convenient.  Hope you have a lovely time.  Thanks for the reply.[:)]

It is a small world and yes the journey on from Calais to Shropshire is the straw that breaks the camel's back!  No after Rouen you join the autoroute to Le Mans and then Tours, Poitiers, Bordeaux and after that towards Toulouse.  It's might be the A28 but if you just follow the blue autoroute signs you won't go wrong, especially as Bordeaux is signposted for much of the journey.  It's a great motorway from south of Rouen all the way down there.  We get off at junction 5 south of Bordeaux for Marmande and make our way cross country though Casteljaloux, Fargues sur Oubise, Duras and Reaup but that's for Montreal so I guess you must have to go further on to Agen perhaps.  Oh and we've been in Montreal for almost 3 years now - we try and get down there most months apart from the depths of winter. We have the best of both worlds at the moment.  Have a great trip. [:)]

We can now get through Rouen OK on the route described. However, I've found out (the hard way!) that it's possible when going south to go wrong just after Rouen when finding the A13 which leads to the new A28 and Le Mans etc.

Just after the second roundabout, with no cows, you need to take a right hand slip to get on to the A13 which is sign posted earlier as for "Bordeaux Suivre Caen". If you forget this, as I have done, you come around a right hand bend after the roundabout and are suddenly presented with two signs: Le Havre straight on and Caen to the right. 

PS The dual carriageway throught the industrial estate has a couple of manned petrol stations open on Sundays.

• 4 weeks later...