Discount for quantity - you must be joking

PaulT

Looking at flight prices with BA – interestingly the larger the number in a group the more you might have to apy (note these are for flights in Jan)

UKFrance

Morning

£38

£38

£38

£38

Afternoon

£48

£48

£58

£58

Evening

£48

£48

£48

£48

FranceUK

Morning

£168

£168

£168

£168

Evening

£222

£329

£329

£382

prices per person

Interesting eh!

Paul

Its a well known feature of the fluid pricing models.

When a flight goes on sale tickets are fixed number of tickets is allocated to a number of price bands.  When all the lower priced tickets have  been sold for a flight, then tickets in the next, higher priced , band are sold.

If a purchase cannot be satisfied by the number of tickets available in the lower priced band then tickets at the higher price are allocated. However ALL the tickets on the booking will be charged at the higher price.

Don't forget that the airline's computer model is designed to maximize revenue!

PS The allocation of tickets to the price bands will itself change over time. The aim is to maximise the revenue for each flight. The initial allocation is based on past trends. If things don't go as expected then the allocation will change, so more cheap tickets may become available or cheap tickets may be withdrawn and moved to higher priced bands.

Dammed clever these computers.

BJSLIV I know that their computers do wonderful things for them - and sometimes the price goes up and then down again.

Some friends decided that they would come with us the last time we went to France. I checked on BAs prices - £35 each way. The next day the friends went to book. Going out was still £35 but coming back had gone up to £100. They decided they would book EasyJet for the return even though it meant hanging around in Toulouse airport for three and a half hours after our flight had left (anyone who knows Toulouse airport will know that is not a good idea).

Out of curiosity I checked a copule of days later and the return had come back down to £35 - did not have the heart to tell them though.

Paul

"Out of curiosity I checked a copule of days later and the return had come back down to £35 - did not have the heart to tell them though."

Paul

I agree, it is never a good idea to look at fares after booking, what's done is done and usually cannot be changed. The only time I would look is when I have managed to book the cheapest deal ever!

[quote user="Cendrillon"]it is never a good idea to look at fares after booking, what's done is done and usually cannot be changed[/quote]Ditto no more looking in Immos windows after you have bought your house.....[:D][:D][:D]

If you can hold your nerve it's sometimes possible to get good last minute prices but it's a dangerous game to play and only viable if you have to travel unexpectedly and are faced with paying top whack anyway.

I agree with the point about Toulouse BTW, for a major airport it is pretty pathetic. I fly air France or KLM yet my Flying Blue card doesn't get me access to the lounge. Fortunately I am also a member of the Petoleum Club which still doesn't automatically get me in but does get me a pass if I ask for it when checking in.