UK Budget airlines are still at it..............

Benjamin

[quote user="Mayennaise"]Whilst on the same subject - why does it cost more to fly France/ Britain return than it does to fly Britain /France return ???[/quote]

If I recall correctly, France introduced an extra environmental charge a year or so ago, perhaps more, for all flights originating in France.

Frankly both 'er indoors and yours truly have become so fed up with "budget" flying that we've decided whenever possible we'll drive instead.

The time factor will seldom be a problem and with proper forward planning there may not be a huge financial differential.

We're both quite accustomed to doing long P&P (Pee & Petrol), drives and in our diesel estate car I reckon we can do the round trip, including running around in UK, quite comfortably on 3 tanks of gas, call it €180.

Ferry trips can be had for under £50 and we won't have the cost of a hire car of course plus we can bring back as much stuff as we like without having to worry about the Stansted storm troopers bleeding us dry for being 0.5kg over weight.

There is the underlying cost of wear and tear on the car etc. but I do all my own servicing anyway and we plan to keep it for the forseeable future so that's not really an important factor. Indeed, with variable servicing, such as mine has, a few longer trips could effectively extend the service interval and maybe actually save money.

At the moment, nothing. But if the "price I eventually pay must be the price I first see" is introduced I might have to pay check-in and/or bag-in-hold fees.

I don't have a problem with the existing system but then I have a brain cell and am old enough to have been taught the necessity of using it.

John

not

Perhaps they could be compelled to present the all inclusive price up front with a set of tick boxes for those who didn't require certain services (cabin air supply, lavatory access, etc) to delete them.

That way the airlines should have a defendable position, muppets like me who actually want to know the all-in price straight away wouldn't be confused and those with a brain cell could take standing room and a plastic bag or something.

I like the train so much more.

Talking of the train. I have just been looking at the Eurostar website and they have improved the booking process.It's easier now to find the £59 Paris return tickets.

There's a link to SNCF and I booked a ticket to Carcassonne from Paris mid March for £56.    It included first class for Paris-Carcasonne leg(there was a special offer)

That compares well with the airlines who charge a fair bit for travelling at weekends. And it's more fun on the train and no taxes.