A Ryanair moneyspinner maybe?

sid

I've had one of those 'idea' moments  [I]  and I must write to Mr O'Leary about it.

I weigh about 72 kg, so we'll take that as the standard naturally [geek] and the proposal is anyone who is heavier than this gets charges a premium per kg as with baggage (and anyone lighter gets totally ignored). After all, how often have you worried about your 10kg cabin baggage only to find that you're sat next to someone who is, shall we say, very fat (I couldn't think of the polite term [blink]); that's hardly fair is it, they pay the same as you you have the same luggage but it obviously takes more fuel to get off the ground for a plane of heavyweights!! [;-)]

At the check-in, we'd have an enormous set of scales, and the whole queue can watch with anticipation as the passengers are put through the mill!

This will make millions for Mr O and encourage a in reduction of the country's weight problem at a stroke! Marvellous!

Now where did I put my tablets, I must go for a lie down.

Sid

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Well it happens when you travel by helicopter. You stand on the giant scales, God it's embarassing ![/quote]

Indeed you do!

Perhaps we could work it like this:

- pay a basic fare for the flight (inc taxes) based on some average weight;

- extra quid for each bag to be checked (seems about fair);

- on arrival, stand on a big set of scales with all your baggage and get a credit / debit for each kilo under / over the average. Tie it in the credit card system and the whole thing could be automatic.

Completely reasonable.

And just think: there could be additional business opportunities here. Airport shops selling laxatives and DIY enemas, steam cabins so you could sweat off the odd kilo and so forth.

I dare say Mr O'Leary works on the basis that if you are overweight then he will sell you a number of those vastly overpriced foul smelling pizzas to boost income, whereas the figure concious will decline the food and any chance of profit for RA

Paul

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]
But that would assume that Ryanair's policies are about weight. Which they might not be, of course.
[/quote]

Aha. You have seen through their plan.

The baggage hold could clearly carry more passengers (I gather that trials have been done using  i Legal i m Migrants ).

Once the space is cleared then RyanAir can trailblaze again.

Former baggage hold becomes standard class. Seats with ambient air carry a small surcharge etc.

Aha! Brilliant scheme! And instead of landing at Limoges or Poitiers or wherever, they just fly over and drop you off. There's a question in their FAQ about "Can I bring a parachute", now I know why!!

Sid