Booking rail journeys from UK to France

jd

We have oldies' SNCF passes and want to use Eurostar and the TGV to get to Bordeaux in Nov. Does anyone know of a good website for the best deals. Have thought we could go to Bdx station info in Oct when we are there and do it then, but would prefer to become more aware of a good way of booking in UK. Is there an equivalent of Skyscanner for rail travel?

The Deutsche Bahn web site (www.bahn.de) is often recommended for timetables and routes, but I don't think you can actually book online, unless your journey starts or ends in Germany.

The French alternative (www.voyagessncf.com) is a bit hit and miss about whether or not you can book tickets, but when it works it's a good service. Otherwise, Rail Europe as mentioned above. Although when I tried a journey that I booked recently via SNCF, Rail Europe couln't find any routes or trains.

Both RailEurope and SNCF Voyages websites will give you what you need, but just be prepared to sit yourself down with a glass of wine (and someone at hand to replenish it), because it could take some time! If you have a blood pressure problem, don't contemplate it.

Out of interest, I just did a speculative enquiry on both systems for dates plucked at random in November. The outbound was £20 cheaper on the SNCF system, return more or less the same (same trains, same dates).  This might be because the SNCF site specifically offers the option to specify Carte Senior, which is presumably what you have.  Check both though for the dates you have in mind.

A word of warning - some of the travel options were via Lille, which would normally be absolutely fine if not preferable. Just now, with the current difficulties, I'd strongly advise travelling via Paris - your Lille connection is likely to be iffy and at least you have the certainty of a later train out of Montparnasse if and when your Eurostar is late.   

also be aware that the prices can change from day to day apparently. alarmingly like ryanair flights!

we left our booking a bit late and the fare had gone up quite a bit. (perpignan - lyon)

we bought our tickets at the station and there was a poster advertising 69 euros return. however, we had to pay over 100 euros and were told that the lower price was only for bookings 3 months ahead whereas we booked about 3 weeks before departure date.