renewing passport - yes i am sorry

Bluebells

I have read the info on UK Emassy site Paris and remain slightly(read a lot) confused.

Now I take it, I send for the renewal with relevant paperwork registered from my Post Office to them.   As they no longet take personnel cheques, it mentions mandat cash or cheques (what on earth are these and how do I get them), also the cost for the renewal is 176 euro and a return registered post charge of  5.21 euro, so do I need a cheque for 181.21 euro and they do the registered post bit at the other end or do I get the registered bit for them (never done one here).   Thanks.

Hi Bluebells,

Mandat cash is a postal order - you buy them from La Poste and make them out to the British Consul Paris.  There is a charge for this - can't remember how much offhand.  At the same time make out a label for the 'lettre recommende'(also obtained from La Poste), addressed to yourself and stick that in the envelope along with a self addressed envelope, stamped to the value of 5 euro 21.

Hope that makes it a bit clearer - have obtained 4 passports this way in the last 3 years, plus 2 birth certificates, all at astronomical rates for being British in France!

I did mine a couple of months ago and send the total payment (for passport and post) together - they sent it all back no problem, so it seems you can do it either way. They have a telephone number on the site so you could always call them up.

Jane

[quote user="Bluebells"]

As they no longet take personnel cheques, it mentions mandat cash or cheques (what on earth are these and how do I get them)

[/quote]

I think you may have misunderstood.  It is mandat cash, or cheques (ie not mandat cheque).  I wrote a personal cheque for my children's passport renewal a few months ago.

And yes you add the postage charge to the passport fee and write one cheque for the total.

I've just renewed my 5 year old daughters, and you can no longer send a personal cheque, they stopped accepting them on the 31st August 2007, it now has to  be the equivalent of a postal order, I for one will be doing my husbands in the uk, as my daughters would have been £45.00 in England but cost £100.00 over here and that was just a childs fee.

Emma

If you renew your passport when you visit the U.K, Won't it cost the same as doing it over there?

To do a childs renewal passport at the passport office for the same day they charge £94, fast track.... one week service it is £81, check and send...2 weeks is £46

I suppose if you are visiting for a 2 week holiday it would be worth it...as long as there was no postal strike to delay the delivery!

Sandy