U.K. Government requirements

pip24

According to Jet2.com, under the title "Travel identification" the following is stated;

{From March 2009, as part of measures to ensure aviation safety and security Jet2.com is legally required to provide the UK Home Office with passport data for all passengers departing from and arriving into the U.K. You are therefore required to provide Jet2.com with accurate passport data.You may provide this data anytime between the time of your booking and 5 hours before departure. Failure to provide accurate data may result inyou being denied boarding.

You may enter the data via manage my booking on the Jet2.com website or via the call centre when making a new booking. }

My brother made me aware of this condition after he read it in the smallprint after he had booked a flight. He knew that I had also recently booked a flight with Ryanair and asked me if I had been made aware of this Home Office regulation.

I had not been made aware of the regulation on booking , I have also looked through the Ryanair site for information on this new condition but cannot find any info on the above mentioned condition  (all passengers departing from and arriving into the U.K.) I have also looked through Flybe website and cannot find the condition there either.                    There must be lot of people with flights booked who are unaware of this condition.

Can any of the well informed Forum members throw any light on this?

Phil 

This sounds like part of the E Borders programme. Its a database to record every person's travel history.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/eborders/timetable/

I suspect that they are rolling it out to individual airline/carriers one at a time. Jet2 are probably a smaller bite of the elephant than Ryanair.

I suppose Mr O'L will add another handling charge for gathering the data when it's Ryanair's turn

Hi  Ernie,

Thanks for the reply,  I had seen the webpage on the ryanair link that you gave. But that page clearly states  "Spain (inc canaries&balearic islands)" not as the Jet2 states as   " All passangers departing from and arriving into the U.K." which I take as going anywhere from anyware.

Since posting I have also looked on the Bmibaby site and can't find anything on the subject there either.

On re-reading the jet2 statement the wording says " Jet2.com is legally required to provide the U.K. Home office with passport data." which may mean that it is only a legal requirement for Jet2  as opposed to being a legal requirement for all carriers. That would fit in with the borders link that BJSLIV gave us.