Brittany Ferries discount

Bilbo

If I remember correctly the use of a guest is limited to 3 times per membership year. For the actual member it's unlimited use throughout the year.

We have often offered our guest facility to friends and family. It's a good feeling to have when you've helped somebody save a few £'s on their trip which otherwise would have gone to waste, so to speak.

Regards.

We are members and have been for many years.  Folks no such thing as a free lunch.  The pricing tool that BF have takes into account all possible scenarios.  Having just spent quite a lot of money on the St Malo crossing and return in these troubled times may have to think about LD lines with whom I have no financial relationship.  Also the food on the BF crossings seldom change.  If a restaurant continued to go along these lines they would soon be out of business.  These guys have the monopoly.  If I see beef in Cahors wine sauce once more....................  Of course the majority of the food on the crossings are boil in the bag that the Roux brothers perfected.

Thank you Lollie...that makes the origional post a bit clearer .....perhaps I am over suspicous but it crossed my mind passing  on the number for a fee may have been on offer ? .....I have always used this facility for family and friends and used to think they had to be on the same ship or joining you on holiday when they booked . Thank you for your post and this information .

[quote user="dragonrouge"] Also the food on the BF crossings seldom change.  If a restaurant continued to go along these lines they would soon be out of business. [/quote]

I so agree. We recently travelled overnight on BF new ship the Armorique. We tried the self service restaurant for an evening meal, which we have not done for many years because the food was, in our opinion, dissappointing and not good value, and again it was very dissappointing, same menu and not that hot. Shant be dining again.

Also, for me, I've been less than satisfied with the cooked breakfast on previous ships, so I opted for a continental with fresh fruit and cereal and the rest of the family had cooked. I enjoyed it but then you can't go wrong with a continental. My husband has vowed never to have a cooked one again.

We had high hopes that the new ship would have improved on it's menu and quality of food, but no, it was exactly the same.

[quote user="Lollie"]
Actually now, its unlimited and  everytime you get someone to use your number you get a £10voucher for a reduction  off your  next crossing!
[/quote]

I haven't read the literature that comes with the POC for a while. Is it the guests who can have unlimited travel?

I haven't received a voucher, is it something that had been introduced recently. I'm trying to think when, exactly, a guest used my membership. It may have been more than 12 months ago. Ill have to ask valB.

Sorry will make myself clearer.  I have a frequent traveller card,  if I recommend someone to book a crossing, they can use my membership number and receive the guest member discount, I in return receive at the end of the year, ie when my next membership money is due, vouchers of £10 for each guest member booking in the previous year to use soley for a full membership booking.   I got my first voucher last October when my membership was last due.    Previously it was just 3 guest members each year.  I did ring up and clarify this with BF.  Good news for us as my son often travels as a foot passenger when visiting from uni, so its £10  each time he visits!   And as sometimes its as cheap to book single crossings I guess that will be £20? 

Lollie

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Bilbo"]If you wish to travel on Brittany Ferries you may not be aware that you can claim 15% off by using an existing property owner's club details. If interested please email me for further details

[/quote]

I added email me for details because, like many others I suspect, I did not want to post the relevant details on the forum.

As others have explained, this is just a change in the arrangements for the Property Owners' Club, but could be useful to many others.

Do you not think that if people abuse the system like this that BF might stop it all together. As a benefit for friends and family it is very welcome but BF will soon clamp down if the discount is overused in this way. Offering your discount to anyone and everyone may get you a big discount this time but it cannot last and spoil it for others.

On the contrary, it's a good way of generating extra business and encouraging customer loyalty. Although passenger fares contribute to the profit - at least after the provision of services and staff to cater for those passengers have been paid for - they are really just a sideline for the company. The bread and butter revenue comes from freight traffic. Regular, high-volume freight operators get good deals, so why should the passengers not benefit too?

Of course, it could be argued that fares should be dropped for all, but unfortunately that's not how the business works. That policy finished off Speedferries and even the carriers regarded as 'low cost' like Ryanir or Easyjet, or LD Lines on the channel, can charge handsomely once the special offer fares and periods have expired.

I'm a bit confused about all this. [8-)]  From what I've just read on the BF website it seems like there is either a 15% guest discount with no mention of £10 vouchers for the member or a "recommend a friend" scheme which does generate a bonus for the member but without any mention of a discount for the person making the booking. Can these two be combined?

[quote user="Ysatis "] If I remember correctly the use of a guest is limited to 3 times per membership year. For the actual member it's unlimited use throughout the year. [/quote]

I wrote this earlier but I'm not sure if this is the case any more. I cannot see any details of the number of times a guest can travel in my literature or BF's website, so it may have changed.

There is no longer a maximum number of times you can use the guest discount - this has been the case for at least two years now.

See http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=200 for details of the current membership benefits. When a guest books using your name and membership number, a discount is automatically applied. So yes, the two are combined.

Note that 15% is the maximum discount, the actual discount received by the guest will often be less.

Thanks for that.

DO YOU KNOW WE ARE ALL TRYING TO SURVIVE LAGITIMATLY USEING OUR DISCOUNT FOR GUEST VOUCHURES. Thanks to people misusing them no doubt BF will go back to 3 per member. Think before you sell.

[quote user="Perlats"]Do you not think that if people abuse the system like this that BF might stop it all together. As a benefit for friends and family it is very welcome but BF will soon clamp down if the discount is overused in this way. Offering your discount to anyone and everyone may get you a big discount this time but it cannot last and spoil it for others.[/quote]

I suppose it depends on how many  extra passengers are carried...BF may be happy to see passengers move over from the other carrier if they are making good money  from this  ... Then again the other carrier may come in with a better discounted fare to win them back  and encourage us all  to travel cheaper with them ......we live in hope !