Terrorist Soup

I recently flew to France with hand-luggage only. Forgetting the 100ml of liquid rule, I'd packed a small tin of soup (I was arriving late at night and being diabetic, thought I might need a standby).

The security guy, in a very polite and good-natured manner confiscated it, explaining that if terrorists can organise hijacks, they can certainly put nasty substances into tins and re-seal them.

Fair enough, I thought. Then it occured to me that all the confiscated tins, bottles, tubes etc. were being plonked on a long table behind the security people.

So I thought to myself, "If this stuff is potentially dangerous, why stockpile it at the security desk? But if it's being accumulated in large quantities in one area, it must be considered safe(ish), so why's it being confiscated?" [8-)]

Don't worry they are experts and will enjoy your soup one lunchtime...

My father had his small pen knife he has had for over 60 years in his pocket last year and was forced to hand it over before a flight. The security lady could see his was very upset at losing it and very kindly popped it in the post to him.

[quote user="Dog"]

My father had his small pen knife he has had for over 60 years in his pocket last year and was forced to hand it over before a flight. The security lady could see his was very upset at losing it and very kindly popped it in the post to him.

[/quote]

Its good to hear that at times officialdom does have a heart.

Paul

Before terminal 3 in the Central Area of Heathrow was opened long haul aircraft left from the North Side...Like most of the North Side buildings Customs worked out of one of the old war time nisson huts ....After moving to the new Central Terminal Area a gang of men from gereral services had the job of moving out their lockers ...These were lined up with a gap at the back...On pulling out the lockers the general services guys were almost burried in the avalance of empty bottles that had been stacking up for years ! 

Last Friday I departed from CDG, hand luggage only. I had in my bag, a small jar of home made mustard - never thought about the liquid regs at all. Needless to say I was stopped and bag searched after x ray, as soon as I explained it was mustard made by my Wife (no label of course) it was handed back to me and I was free to take it on the flight.!!!!!!!!!! (it could blow your head off though [6] )

I know of one regional airport where the Fire Safety officer had made a surprise weekend visit to the airport's airside area. He'd walked into the staff rest room (a portakabin) and walked straight back out again, saying to his liaison, "I'll wait out here for five minutes. You go back in there and open the windows while I decide if I really did smell cannabis".

That's what got me pondering. We aren't supposed to actually analyse the situation. The spin doctors just want us to feel safe, so they ensure that we go through this little ballet to make us think that's the case.

If a burning log dropped out of the fireplace onto the hearth, how many people would pop it onto the sofa for safe-keeping? If we believe the hype, that's what the security people are being asked to do.

And exactly how difficult would it be for two terrorists to get through security and pour their 100ml each of explosives into a bottle they bought from Smiths once they were in?

Come to think of it, those trolleys full of airline food come straight into the airport. Now what could you strap under one of them, I wonder?

[quote user="Iancharlton"]I know the feeling. I was served breakfast on a BA red-eye flight once. I dug into what I thought was a Portobello mushroom, only to find that the black pudding and plastic tray had melted together.[+o(][/quote]

What is a Portobello mushroom? (I've lived a sheltered life...)