Cabin baggage again!

Winegum

I'm travelling on Ryanair for the first time and am only taking cabin baggage. They require it to not exceed 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. I need to buy a case, but so far everything I've seen is slightly over the 20cm limit because of wheels. Can anyone suggest a shop that has a variety of luggage (tried Leclerc). Or has anyone used a bag which is slightly over the 20cm limit and got away with it? Any help would be really appreciated.[8-)]

Hi winegum,

Fortunately they do not have tape measures and just use metal cages which you are invited to drop your case into if there is any doubt.

I measured the cage sometime ago before purchasing a case for hand luggage and it was larger than the 20cm they quote although I can't remember the exact size now my case is 24cm and that fits the cage and the overhead locker without problem.

Providing you don't push it that gives you a margin of tolerance, if you are not too far from the airport nip in and measure it

Bon voyage

Or you could do what us seasoned RA frequent flyers do. 

Get an ordinary carrier bag, I can recommend the reusable ones from Auchan (or Tescos if in the UK).

These are just the right size, weigh nearly nothing and are replaced for free when they wear out.

In these you can get an amazing amount (careful of the weight thought, they DO weigh hand baggage at many security gates these days) and you can pop your laptop/handbag/whatever in the top and it's still only one piece of luggage.  Fits nicely in the overhead lockers too.

I started doing this last year when they started having hissy fits about hand luggage (to be truthful, some people do take the Pee) and now lots of people do the same.

I think of myself a a trendsetter with my Designer luggage - well it was probably designed by somebody. [:P]

If you want to be a little more stylish than Pierre's "bag lady" look (only joking - I think his is actually a good idea) IKEA has a cabin bag of exactly the right dimensions which also has the advantage of being very light - hence not eating too much into your 10Kg (on Ryanair) allowance - unlike some of the hard shell types.

Regards

Pickles

Thank you all!

Funnily enough I got a couple of Leclerc carrier bags out last night and measured them! They're a bit narrow, but as you said Pierre, they weigh nothing! I thought, why spend 40 Euros or so on a case? I can pack stuff in one, use the other as a lid and cut a hole to pull the handles through. Great minds think alike. Decided to abandon a handbag and keep my wallet, sweets, etc in the many pockets of my cargo pants! One could always wear 7 pairs of knickers too and save on weight in the bag! When I get to the UK I may go really up-market and get a re-usable Waitrose bag!

Thanks all, I think my problem is solved[:D]

[quote user="Pickles"]IKEA has a cabin bag of exactly the right dimensions which also has the advantage of being very light
Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

They are normally very fastidious about making sure that you dont steal their in store paniers [6]

My favorite use for them is for mixing small quantities of concrete or mortar, for setting a fence post for instance.

[quote user="Pickles"]IKEA has a cabin bag of exactly the right dimensions which also has the advantage of being very light - hence not eating too much into your 10Kg (on Ryanair) allowance - unlike some of the hard

[/quote]

Just bought one yesterday to use on Ryanair and for what you pay

for it there's a lot of room in it.  The IKEA lady I spoke to told me

to use a polythene bag inside it to put everything in as its not

waterproof.  Though I suppose the only time you would need to worry

about it getting wet would be if you checked it in and it ended up

sitting on a trolley in the rain.  Its a bit flimsy but if its not

leaving your side other than going in to an overhead locker then there

shouldn't be a problem.

I have a canvas flight bag with wheels.  It squishes (so goes into the bag sizer with a bit of a shove), weighs very little and I don't need to knacker my arm standing for ages in the non priority line or walking the three miles from the boarding gate with my regulatory 10kg