Carrying non-prescribed meds. in hand luggage

Hester

I would be grateful if anyone who has experience of taking non-prescription tablets or sachets of medication in their hand luggage or handbags, could let me know if they had any problems.  I have read all the information applicable to liquids etc., but I cannot determine whether I will be able to take headache/travel sickness/sleeping pills etc. either in my handbag or hand luggage.  (I have not travelled by air since the regulations came into place). Thanks Hester.

Be warned though - nothing is simple!  A friend of mine flew here from Holland last week and had all her marzipan confiscated.  Another friend recently flew here from Ireland and completely filled her carry-on case with clingfilm-wrapped teabags (Barrys) and Tato crisps as a pressie - these were allowed through without a qualm.  On a trip from San Franscisco to UK, I accidentally packed two identical sets of nail clippers, customs found them both, confiscated one and let me keep the other.  And finally, after a flight from Carcassonne to UK I saw the large knife I had put (and forgotten) in an outside net pocket (totally visible) of my rucksack hand luggage....[8-)]

Be careful not to lose any small medications that you've put into one of those small plastic bags that they give you. They pass through the xray machine then you collect them.

I lost a bag like that once, went back in and had a good search but never found it. (Gatwick on the way to Toulouse.)

As far as I understand it if the medication is in solid form you should be OK, just make sure the medicine /pill container doesn't contravene the 100ml limit.

As for the marzipan being confiscated story...yep, I can see that a lump of marzipan or indeed anything of similar consistency in hand luggage might well raise a few eyebrows.

[quote user="confused of chalus"]The other thing you now have to pay for is weighing your bags at the repacking area at Stansead - 20p coin operated scales where they used to be free!
[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013PVQS6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000VQRA88&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0VX70MS34DSDWJW766RY

I have these and they were a very worthwhile purchase.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="confused of chalus"]The other thing you now have to pay for is weighing your bags at the repacking area at Stansead - 20p coin operated scales where they used to be free!

[/quote]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013PVQS6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000VQRA88&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0VX70MS34DSDWJW766RY

I have these and they were a very worthwhile purchase.

[/quote]Something for the old man's christmas stocking methinks![I]