Toll charges for Towing

David J

Hi,

I'm just working out my best route to travel from Charente Maritime (south) to Amsterdam to collect my  foals arriving next Tuesday and will be towing a horse trailer. Can anyone advise if the charge is double that of just a car or is there a special rate for horse boxes?

Look forward to help on this.

Have looked at route passing by Angouleme, up to Poitiers, then on to A10 to Tours, then on to the A28 to Rouen. From there aiming for Amiens, Arras, passing by Lille then over the border into Belgium via Gwent and then up to Amsterdam. Want to stay clear of Paris.

Any other known route or suggestion suitable for towing would be welcome.

Many thanks

David J

Many thanks for this information. Will go to the viamichelin website to work out a route plan. I had estimated a 100% increase for towing the horse trailer so will probably stick with original route and check toll charges.

Regards

David J

I go to Belgium via the route you suggest (we're 20 mins from the A28) and I'd say your route looks fine, provided that you are comfortable with getting round Rouen.  I've done it so many times I can do it in my sleep but if you're not used to it it could cause you a problem. 

Many thanks for the link. Just checked the height of the trailer and it is 2.65m so will be class 2.

Looks like a slow journey in prospect for the 1000 Km trip each way. Better safe than sorry so no risks on our part hope others are like minded while in transit!

Regards

David J 

Does anyone know if all the "doofah" suppliers charge the same for a given bit of motorway.

Weve had a Sanef one for about three years which is fine but as we use the A28 virtually every time we go down to the Pyrenees this offer of 25% off would be good providing the charges are the same.

Thanks for any help

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the link. Most helpful. Just making final preparations for journey leaving early Monday morning. Expect to be in Amsterdam midday Tuesday after numerous stops and getting some kip somewhere on route. Hope the weather is ok but no rush when we get loaded as cargo is too important and we look forward to a safe return.  Hope to be back Wednesday evening sometime and the foals can see their new home.

Hope you are both ok

Regards

David J

Hi Sweet!

Just trying to save a buck or two so we can have an extra bottle of champers on return!!

Nearly ready now. Final packing etc tomorrow and a good night's sleep and we'll be away early Monday morning. Sorry can't call in for breakfast or coffee!

See you on return

Regards

David J

Hi Sweet,

We are back safe and sound with our new family members.   The Rouen route then Amiens, Lille, Gent etc was ok but slow due to bad weather Monday night. Arrived Amsterdam Tuesday midday but foals needed extra time to recover from long flight so stayed overnight and arrived back safely at 1.30 this morning. Did the Paris route on the way back and saved 130kms but cost more with the heavier load to pull.  Managed 4 hours sleep before alarm went at 8.00. All foals look better this morning after the rest.

See you soon.

David J

Was going to ring you this evening so you have saved me a phone call.

Well done, you, to have got the foals back safe and sound.  Speak to you tomorrow as we want you to have some time to get over your marathon trip!

I am full of admiration....................good show!

Hi,   Will do but can't remember how it is done as it is while since I posted photos before.  I've got some  which I took when I was over in the US before they flew over on Tuesday. They were about 4 months old then. They are now 8 months, 7 months & 7 months old .

Await instructions from the professionals!

Regards

David J

hi Sweet,

Thanks for the glass of vin blanc this afternoon for me and Julie.  Done the chores with the new arrivals.  I too can't see a photo!!. Back to the drawing board!! Will email you with attachments of a few photos. You will see them for real next Thursday pm.

BFN

David J