ID cards

Théière

Back in the bad old days when I was a salary slave I had to carry with me

1. BR photocard - perhaps because my season ticket did not have my picture on it ?

2. Id card, with photo, to let me in, out and around my various places of work.

Neither of these was optional.

Don't understand what all the fuss is about, other than the cost of course.

I blame the Tory govt of 1952 - if they had not abolished the system in place for 13 years (would not have happened with a real man eg. Margaret Hilda at the helm) we would all be used to having an id card and think nothing of it.

As a great fan of Spooks it is obvious that "they" are capable of finding out where I am and what I am doing at any time.

BTW is this another good reason not to live in NW England ?

John

ID cards are a great idea. As John mentioned, BR rail cards, work security cards, and then mobile phones and security cameras all reveal our whereabouts anyway. We could soon have GPS chips in cars that will reveal where we have driven and how fast we have been driving. As an avid driver I can't think of anything worse, so ID cards are the least of anyone's issues me thinks.

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="nomoss"]Remember when Photo driving licences were optional?[/quote]

[quote user="La Guerriere"]They still are[/quote]

Really?  http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022084

[/quote]

[quote user="La Guerriere"]If you need a new or updated UK driving license you need a photo jobby, otherwise the paper one is still valid. It is peculiar but that seems to be the way it goes.[/quote]

The definition of "optional" seems to have been revised.

Are you in politics by any chance?

I just noticed from your spelling of "license" that you are possibly from north America, in which case the definition of optional may be different for you.[:)]