How do you get a dog from France to the UK without a car?

A friend of mine looked into taking her dog from London to Paris without a car a few years back.

It was looking pretty difficult. 

As has been stated, Eurostar does not accept dogs.

I don't think there was a possibility of flying either.

A ferry would take her (Dover to Calais), but only if the dog was in a cage.  It would have been very expensive to rent a cage - not sure if it was even possible for a one-way journey - and a very cumbersome thing to carry, especially with luggage.

In the end, I took a day-trip via Eurotunnel with the car, and dropped her and the dog in Calais to get on a train to Paris.

So it looks as if the best bet is to accept a lift, if one is proposed.

Are you up to speed with the DEFRA requirements for entering the UK?

Angela

I would talk to Brittany Ferries. A couple of the ships (Pont Aven and Bretagne) have kennels which I believe foot passengers with pets have been able to take advantage of in the past. It means you will probably have to travel to St Malo or Roscoff rather than Calais or Cherbourg.

I think that the €1000 to the US sounds like a decent deal. We wanted to fly our cat back to the UK. Was told that we would need to take him to Paris or somewhere in western France, Bordeaux? we were in the 'true' SE of France an hour'ish from Lyon and Geneva. Then he would have only been dropped off at Heathrow and that was going to cost around €600-700 euros, plus a crate.

I then called Heathrow animal centre and they told me to call a number in Paris, but they were as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

We drove instead, it was easier, not a option for you.

As has been said, are you up to date with all the DEFRA things for taking your dog into the UK if you go that route.