free camping in normandy

hello everyone. i will be leaving on my first trip to france in a little over a week. Phase one of my journey is going to be a long bike ride through normandy and i was wondering about free camping. Are there many places that i could discreetly set up my little one man tent (in some woods or behind some bushes or somthing) ? I've of course read the official rules on the subject but i was wondering if its actually that stricly enforced. To give everyone a better idea, i wont be setting up a hobo camp or anything like that; just pitching a tent for a night than moving on the next day. Merci everyone and sorry for such a long post

A lot of villages and towns do have free municipal camping but may not be open at this time of year.

The French are fairly relaxed about overnight 'wild' camping. I have seen people camping on roundabouts. You also often see people camping near beaches.

If you are concerned about who owns the land and may not approve, why not ask at farms they will probably say yes. Most French houses have far more land than in UK and would also probably let you camp overnight if you asked politely.

I remember camping at midnight on the seafront in Cherbourg with my parents awaiting the next mornings ferry. We got awoken by the gendarmes but they said we could stay until the next morning.

A very large number of towns and villages have municipal campsites. Usually you have to pay, but we discovered that "out of season" - and October is certainly that - you can often camp there without having to pay: in fact you can't pay even if you want to. Though on the other hand the toilet block/showers may be locked or may only have cold water.

If you are travelling on a push bike getting into the campsite won't be a problem. And I am sure no-one in the village will mind. The worst that will happen is that they will ask you to pay a few euros.

Good luck with the trip. I hope the weather improves!

haha well thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, though, im deadset on normandy. You see im a huge history buff and WW2 is one of the subjects i know the most about. I've been learning about operation overlord since i was about 10 so going there is pretty much a given. As for why im leaving now, im only 20 so i work a summer job and have the winters off. I knew the weather wouldnt be perfect but id rather sit on a bunker pondering alone in the rain than have it be sunny and swarming with tourists. same goes for castle ramparts, ancient megaliths, and other places of historical interest. I live in alaska so i get more than enough of the "cattle" in the summer. do u live in normandy Dog?

6ks from the Normandy border.  The sun is out again (as it has been for a day or two now since a couple of wet days at the beginning of the week) and the temperature a bike-friendly 22 with mild nights so camping may be soggy but shouldn't be too cold.  Perfect, and the trees beginning to turn making the countryside look at its best, imo.  I think you'll love Normandy in the autumn, Goodtimes machine.[:)]

Our biggest problem this year has been a lack of rain, not the reverse.