The Billi Building in Bordeaux Merignac

I have now had the displeasure to have to use this joke facility quite a few times since it started operation. Several of my family and aquaintances have also used it and found it to be a less than edifying experience.

Those who have used it will know it is a giant black painted corrugated shed, with limited facilities, including sub standard ventilation, let alone any  aircon, which causes it to warm up inside very quickly.

Once a flight is called "for boarding" people pass through into a lairage (cattle pen in a slaughterhouse), through customs, so no return if delayed, where it is almost exclusively standing room only.

It is deemed suitable for low cost travellers to use so Easyjet, Flybe, and Ryanair passengers are the most likely lambs to the slaughter.

My patience ran out on my latest transit when a full aircraft worth of souls was kept in "final departure" for over 45 minutes, standing, no drink facility, no air. Watching elderly ( even older than myself) persons who had obviously started the voyage fresh and relaxed turn into cooked sweaty frazzled and frustrated wrecks, I was moved, after a further flight delay due to a ladies collapse, to write to the 3 aforementioned carriers to inform them of the effect of Bordeaux Airports decision to use their passengers in some macabre survival experiment. They have responded favourably and have contacted the airport authorities to make changes, allegedly.

I also wrote to the airport administration, who glibly informed me that it was a direct result of us desiring to travel cheaply that Billi was such a success!

I would urge fellow travellers to monitor the situations improvement (I am transferring travel to Pau), and if you experience these unacceptable conditions, or have previously done so, to write to the 3 above carriers or the airport itself, perhaps urging the airport to try its successful format out on Air France passengers for a trimestre, and see how swiftly it changes.

According to French acquaintances in Bordeaux the Billi cattle shed was constructed in response to pressure from the high price / full ticket airlines who objected to airlines which had negotiated lower landing fees having access to the full facilities of Bordeaux.

I think the only leverage that might work is pointing out to the concessionaires for the various shops the number of customers that they are now being denied access to compared to three years ago.

That is probably the reason for this as I got the idea that we pay low prices therefore get substandard facilities. There are however acceptable levels for ventilation, surface area per person etc, which as I pointed out to Merignac's admin, are surely a health and safety concern.

Having managed livestock for many years I can tell you that the high stocking density would cause closure of any farm in the EU.

They will improve the facility if enough people complain, to either them or carriers who use the airport.

I will look up and post some useful contact details for those of us who care to protest.

I have not used it but have met and despatched visitors theough it. I believe it is modelled on a similar facility at Marseille, which was judged to be a great success.

Incidentally "Billi" is short for Bordeaux Illico, which can be traslated as "sharpish" - not apparent in the example given above.

We do need to complain.  Addresses etc would be welcome.  I shall write if someone can tell me to whom we should send letters.

The Billi building is bad for Bordeaux and bad for anyone with a business in Bordeaux.

I think that the biggest issues are:

* Lack of lavatories - there are five places where you need lavatories in an airport terminal but Billi only has them in one place:

(A) the booking area - no lavatories in Billi

(B) the departure lounge (after security checks) - there are lavatories here

(C) the holding area before a flight (after passport control) - no lavatories

(D) the arrivals hall - no lavatories

(E) for staff - I understand that staff have to go into the other terminal building?

* Lack of seats in (A) and (C)

* Lack of ventilation in (C) - this particular area is brutal if you are sent into it for too long a period before the flight has arrived.  It strikes me that because (B) is so small, they have to call you through to (C) too early.   On one occasion, when a flight was very delayed but the plane was on the tarmac, easyJet cabin crew came into the area (C) to distribute water to waiting passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that Kitty. A contact from whom I received a reply at Bordeaux Airport was Laurence Ortiz, Operations Department, Customer Services Manager.

The reply e-mail came from a Veronique Godrie, her mail being [email protected]

I wrote to main budget carriers through their contact addresses on respective websites, so Easyjet, Flybe, and Ryanair are all aware, and I think should be kicking up a fuss on our behalf. Please mail them.

Being a good boy, and having listened to my mother, I always try to "go" before I travel so was largely unaware of the lack of toilets, which just adds more grist to the mill.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I have not used it but have met and despatched visitors theough it. I believe it is modelled on a similar facility at Marseille, which was judged to be a great success.

Incidentally "Billi" is short for Bordeaux Illico, which can be traslated as "sharpish" - not apparent in the example given above.

[/quote]

I think the "sharpish" is evident in the practice of treating paying passengers like cattle and hoping to get away with it. I repeat my thought on trying a swap with Air France for a month and see how long it survived.

Mouton brulee anyone??

My daughter is flying to Bordeaux in a few days time to pay me a visit. She was going to use Flybe but checked with BA ... and BA was cheaper.

She will come into the main terminal.

I wonder what sort of deal was done with the lo-costs for them to agree to using a cattle shed?

Strange as it may seem, BA is the cheapest into Bordeaux and, as you say, you get to use the main terminal building.

Southampton to Bergerac is now the most convenient for our guests but they don't mind paying extra because they say it's just so relaxed and so much easier.

Can't speak from personal experience, however, as I haven't used either airport yet.

The arrival hall is not too bad and is quite quick.

However, you do need to make sure that you go to the loo on the plane.  [8-)]  Guests need to know that there is no loo in arrivals and if you are caught short while waiting for your bags, you have to leave Billi, walk about a quarter of a mile to the main terminal building loos and back again.  [Www] [+o(]  Highly unsatisfactory.

Not wishing to start a price argument but I just looked Easy up for end August, £234 return including 2 and half days car hire. From Bristol about 8 quids worth of fuel for me.

BA came in at £252, no car hire, from Gatwick, a good half tank of gas each way on top.

Flybe to Pau not checked yet. Great airport for me with new A65 autoroute about 55 mins away.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Southampton to Bergerac is now the most convenient for our guests but they don't mind paying extra because they say it's just so relaxed and so much easier.

[/quote]

We collected and delivered our son from/to Bergerac last October when my husband and I were visiting the Dordogne and our son decided to join us for a week. An excellent, airy little airport with the added benefit that you can clearly see your visitors arrive and depart as they walk from/to the plane.

The only downside is the number of abandoned UK reg cars in the car park as this can make it somewhat difficult to find an empty parking place; we noticed the locals, very sensibly, park anywhere and everywhere.

Sue

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

I believe it is modelled on a similar facility at Marseille, [/quote]

If so it is a poor copy by the sounds of things.

Marignane MP2 has shops and restaurants (fast food) in the departure area.  While it gets warm and sometimes a bit crowded with the number of flights leaving in summer I would not describe it as oppressive.  Once finally called to the gate for departure there are no facilities, but that is common at many airports, but it seems they only call you once the plane is on its final approach - so waiting time will be relatively limited - perhaps 40 minutes if you are first to arrive at the gate.