Avoiding bridges ?

Hi there, we are travelling to France next week and was after some advice regarding driving and trying to avoid some of the amazing bridges in France. I know most people love the amazing architecture and views, when you suffer with vertigo Driving even near a bridge can be hell. Our journeys are Calais to Château Lez Eaux Campsite St Pair-sur-mer, Normandy. On day 3 we travel down to La Croix du Vieux Pont Campsite Berny-Rivière, Paris. On day 8 from Paris back up to Calais.

Any advice would be very much appreciated x

Hmmmm...

You going to be in trouble within 30 mins of leaving Calais on the A16 towards Normandy as there is a very high tall scary long viaduct that you have to cross. It is just before the peage. You can't really avoid it.

I can't help with the Normandy bit as I never been there but I can help with any questions regarding Paris and your trip back to Calais. If you let us know where in Paris you are going I can give some advice.

As LBF this viaduct is a very tall one. Looking at a map there is a way to avoid actually travelling across it. You can come off of the A16 go through Boulogne and then back on to the A16 but close your eyes think you will still see the viaduct. The other option is off at J30? St Omer, inland a bit and then down to rejoin the A16 which will be quite a distance but you should avoid seeing the viaduct....this one is very high.

Further along the A16 are a couple of viaduct where the road passes over a couple of small lakes - the road does not rise and the water is a couple of feet below the road.

Best of luck.

I can't advise on a route, just to say I sympathise about the fear of bridges.

We used to live near the Humber bridge and I always refused to cross it to go south, went round the road way. Eventually I agreed to go if husband drove, and I kept my eyes shut all the time. Could you do that?

A further problem is that I have a compulsion to jump off high places, so would have driven over the side.

Maybe I was  bird in a previous life.

Wow I have just google street mapped that Viaduct and yes that is a biggy! Will definitely have to detour that one.

With regards to Paris we will be returning from Disneyland to Calais - am hoping there are no bridges on this route? Eeek

You can avoid the A16 viaducts by taking the D96 and D901 just before Boulogne.

That way the only bridge you cross is the Pont du Briques which is not really a bridge at all.

Years ago, before the A16, that was the only viable route out of Boulogne anyway.

From Disneyland back to Calais is flat farmland and I can't recall any significant bridges etc.

You could go down the A26-A1 to Paris (around the peripherique) to any suitable route out of Paris to the A10 to join up with the A11 to Le Mans - Rennes and then up to your camp site. Good 8 hr trip but no bridges.

Scary high bridge that takes 2 mins to cross vs very scary peripherique to navigate Paris.

What do you reckon ?

P.S I hate bridges to.

Or, Kathrine, why not use the fabulous coastal road D940 to drive from Calais to Boulogne, past Wissant and Wimereux? The scenery is wonderful, and it would be a real plus.

If you start on the A16 (which is toll-free between Calais and Boulogne), you can turn off soon, westward towards Blériot Plage (junction 43), or to Sangatte (junction 41), to get on the D940.

And if you work your way through Boulogne, sticking to the D940, you could rejoin the A16 near Neufchâtel-Hardelot at junction 27 and continue south from there. (I don't know if you have tunnel phobia, too, but the A16 does go through a spacious, well-lit tunnel beneath Hardelot Forest between junctions 27 and 28; using this route, you would also have avoided the tunnel.)

Angela

Thanks again for the advice, I am going to have a look at the D940 coast road and head back onto the A16 after the viaduct! 

Taken me an age but looks like I've mapped it and it's only coming up as 40 minutes longer.  Thats with going through Rouen to avoid Pont du Normandie and Pont du Tancarville.  Phew feel much happier now, couple of small viaducts on the way but can handle them!