I'm not British, I'm anglo saxon!!

Théière

Ah yes, I have long thought the British should have France and the French should have Britain. They seldom travel outside of their area apart from a small migration in August. In Britain we are packed in like sardines and they need to build so many more hives. We need more space the French don't

the new name is also believed to be easily pronounceable by its French chief executive, Jacques Gounon. In a statement, Gounon said: “Getlink is all that is Eurotunnel and more than just Eurotunnel!”

So they picked the only one that he was able to pronounce [:D]

When its explained I can see the relevance but if you have to explain a name then its a very poor choice.

But the French move to the UK for jobs and the British move to France to retire. Is France is becoming one gigantic retirement home ???

As for holidays, the British go and spend two weeks in a British run gîte in the Dordogne, whist enjoying the view and the local historical attractions beside a pool on their ipads.

You could actually do that in the UK at half the price.....and be able to go to the pub at night for entertainment and not have to choose between eating duck pizza and chips or duck burger and chips which is basically your choice in the Dordogne !!! In the UK you can eat scampi and chips instead. And have a game of pool.

So true, I do love meeting the bright young French who come to London, always a delight!

If only the French had the entrepreneurial spirit  to develop their gite business's. so many are still as yet not decorated past the last refit in the late 60's.

Part of the reason of course is they don't have a word for entrepreneur.

But 1960's deco is France !!

I have seen pictures of the chabby chic, stone walled no charm Brit run gîtes in France. You can find these types of places in the UK. I can point you to the website of my local pub in the UK that has been Farrowed and Balled and completely transformed from being the spit and sawdust place it used to be when it was packed out with locals who spoke properly with a Wiltshire accent into a complete nonsense.

Ummm....a Brit run gîte in France....no thanks.

Like I said, the muppets that go to the Brit run gîtes choose them for a pool and WIFI. What is the point ??? Do they discover the environment around them ???? NO. And I bet the owners pocket half their takings on the black. If they did not, they would not be in business. ALBF has spoken. lol

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]But 1960's deco is France !!

I have seen pictures of the chabby chic, stone walled no charm Brit run gîtes in France. You can find these types of places in the UK. I can point you to the website of my local pub in the UK that has been Farrowed and Balled and completely transformed from being the spit and sawdust place it used to be when it was packed out with locals who spoke properly with a Wiltshire accent into a complete nonsense.

Ummm....a Brit run gîte in France....no thanks.

Like I said, the muppets that go to the Brit run gîtes choose them for a pool and WIFI. What is the point ??? Do they discover the environment around them ???? NO. And I bet the owners pocket half their takings on the black. If they did not, they would not be in business. ALBF has spoken. lol[/quote]

A subtle difference between what you describe and scabby chic, the last place I stayed in Charente maritime, loverly owner but still the 1960's brown sheets and wallpaper that you'd have to be smoking something to appreciate.

That level of decrepidation may appeal to some but most holiday makers seem to want for better and when you want to attract customers best to give them what they want?

What is the point? to relax.

Yes but, before we had kids we used to go a lot to Scotland. OH loves Scotland.

We stayed in all sorts of places. Some very nice....and some very grim. Some more than grim.

In the nice places it was populated by foreign tourists and was dead boring. In the grim places, the bar was populated by the locals of the village, it had a good atmosphere and you felt like you were in Scotland. You walk outside and see the beautiful views and the grim accommodation was not really that important. You felt like you were discovering Scotland.

You know what I mean ?

Same in France.