Private Vide-Grenier

Bastet

We had a visit from the Gendarmarie several years ago when we decided to sell a lot of furniture etc off,from the house/garden. A local Brocante shop had complained and the Gendarmes arrived with camera to take pix of the articles. We did ask if it was a "Guillotine" offence but they weren't amused. They advised that we either had to Hire a "Huissier" to sell the items.  plus tax from memory, or sell them in the PUB. It was some months before we realised what they meant by The Pub!!

You are supposed to do only 2 VG's a year to get rid of your surplus but I note that many House Contents sales are frequently advertised on another Brits site.

Regards.

Probably your region's AngloInfo site is the best option. On the Normandy site, you can buy anything from a stunning mahogany 4-poster bed to 2CV cars. Occasionally there are a lot of goods on offer from one place but generally (though not always) it's viewing by appointment not via an open day. Though open days or weekends do happen.

[quote user="Frogslegs"]Just go to angloinfo site and look under the for sale section. We are near Melle in the Deux Sevres and its on at 10.00 tomorrow.[/quote]

So to recap, if I have understood correctly you are allowed to have a stall at 2 vides greniere per year (called rederies or braderies in my area) but not to have a sale of  your own goods from your own front garden promoted on an English speaking immigrant website?

If that is correct then I can see why the Gendarmes were not sympathetic  and local depot de ventes etc get cross.

Good luck with the Gendarmes[6]

Yes, any sale has to be approved by the mairie, prefecture, gendarmes etc and all such sales are tightly controlled.

Anglo Info is full of people who think that because something works in a particular way in England it will be the same in France. Sometimes that ignorance (in the nice sense of the word) can be useful but unfortunately it is no defence against a zealous gendarme.