Snakes............

Hi

we have a snake family who live in the drainage pipe under our pool house.

In Spring we've seen them a few times coiled up under the pool cover when we remove it. They also seem to get around the garden in summer and I've seen them in various places. They are not big - say 70cms, but very thin.

They are more scared of us than we are of them ! They have the hatchet markings on the back, so could be poisonous. my main worry is for our dog.

I've seen much bigger ones in the wild, normally crossing roads, or dead. We have a local variety that grows up to 2m long.

Peter

We too have problems with snakes. I agree with Alan Zoff that it’s much easier to leave them to their own devices if there are several acres for them to roam in. I don’t mind the ones in the field or in the garden. The one that drapes itself around a bush next to my living room door is definitely not more afraid of me than I am of it. It raises its head and hisses if I approach. I’ve identified it and I know it’s not poisonous; I still don’t like the idea of getting bitten by it.

Hoddy

The really easy way ( and right now I've lost track over the last 2 weeks that I've answered questions on snakes ) to identify a vipére is by the eye pupils.  A vipére has vertically slit pupils - all other snakes which are harmless, if at times a little grumpy, have round pupils. This can be easily seen from a safe distance of one metre.

If you want to feel really safe, stand a piece of board, cardboard will do, about 60 cm high on the ground between you and it. If the snake isn't on the ground a dustbin lid held like a shield will do.

There are examples of eye pupils on the link to my site that I posted earlier in this thread.

Happy dreams, Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

If you want to feel really safe, stand a piece of board, cardboard will do, about 60 cm high on the ground between you and it. If the snake isn't on the ground a dustbin lid held like a shield will do.[/quote]

Hang on though Chris, that's two different things you're saying.  And how can you do the gardening with a 'shield' held up, or stood on some sort of platform?

Don't get me wrong. What I do is move around carefully, but making plenty of noise. These snakes are more fightened of me than I am of them, and I suspect they slink out of my way when they get the 'warning noises'. I find skins that have been shedded (sorry my verbal skills are failing me), so I know they are around, but I have never seen one.

OH has though, he saves them from drowning in the water butt all the time. The neighbs say 'you should cut off his head', but he gives them a kiss and lets them go.

Nice one Tresco! I wish I'd never told you about the make up and womens clothes.

What I meant was "while you gaze into their eyes" to check them out.

I'm just trying to let people ascertain what they are while feeling (and being) safe at the same time.

Chris.

Aaah, sorry, I misunderstood. 

I forgot also that you were the person I called 'a girl'. You are very patient with me considering.[:$]

Our Hoopoes came back today. I think it was this type. I couldn't get a shot of them myself as they are so shy.

[IMG]http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/twinm/hoopoe.jpg[/IMG]