tiny insects

Hi ,

I was wondering if any one can help identify the millions, and I mean millions of tiny insects that are invading our home, they are on all white surfaces, in bathroom, backs of curtains, cream walls, infact even t-shirts whilst we are wearing them. The insects are very tiny, say less than 1 millimeter, they wriggle/crawl around and they boys say they even bite. Please help with advise as to what they are and most of all how we can get rid of them !!!!

Ps they are not fleas or midges as these can not fly or jump

Thanks from the lady on a black t-shirt !

We've had a lot of tiny black insects landing on us if we sit under the apple trees - impossibly thin body, about 1mm long, BUT winged if you look closely - which we used to call field lice back in the NE of England.  I don't know the proper name.  They obviously can fly, as they have wings, but once they land on you or your shirt (they like light colours) they prefer to walk - hence the tickle/itch. They don't bite but are a bit irritating as they tickle/itch hair and skin as they move about.  We just move away from them.  But they don't come in our house - they prefer to stay near the trees and grass.  Sorry, this ain't much help, is it?

I think you're talking about what turned my white wedding dress grey/black 21 years ago!  We have them in our house, on my face etc...  Harvest bugs, storms bugs, harvest mites.  They have wings and are so light, but when they crawl up your leg or arm you can feel them.  They also aggravate my skin so I itch, and the cat's ears are also irritated.  But if you watch them closely you can see them lift their backends up to make a U shape, (I don't want to know what they're doing, probably some bodily function...)

They certainly come into our house.  Two have even got under the plastic cover on the phone that protects the number! 

But what I like is to turn our bedroom light on, then inspect the bedside table the next morning - about 30 to 50 dead bodies - revenge is sweet, but our house must contain thousands.  ROLL ON WINTER (joking), but at least roll on September and the end of harvesting.

This was just a Google search so not totally reliable, but here is the result for harvest bugs and harvest mites.  It's not what I was thinking of as they are too fat.  But it could be the OP's bug.

[img]http://www.fabcats.org/images/clip_image001_005.jpg[/img]

There's more info on this site -

http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/topical/harvestmites.htm

Are these in France?

Sound like Thrips to me.

Best thing about thrips is that they are like sheep - you can have one thrips or a whole flock of thrips.

Amazing critters imagine spending your life getting past the brown paper sealing tape and in between the glass and someones favourite watercolour... wow.....

These are NOT harvest mites or harvest bugs, both of which burrow under your skin and cause inflammation that itches like fury.

They are THRIPS, aka thunder flies, or, in my part of the UK, corn flies. It's their feet and them moving your bodily hairs that causes you to itch, although some may be allergic. They DO have wings.

Many years ago I painted a window frame, and came out to find it almost black with the blasted things.

Someone once said: "When God created the earth, the three things He like creating the most were poor people, insects and rocks. That's why He created so many of each."

Makes sense, I suppose.........

Alcazar

Thanks everyone for you replies and thoughts, I've had a close look at the insects and I'm sure your eyesight must be better than mine as they are sooo tiny can't see any wings, but the rest of the descriptions sound right, crawling under picture glass ect, they are certainly a darned pain in the *** can't wait for them to dissappear from whence they came. Mind you where do they go and wait out the winter, do they lay eggs ? they must multiply at an alarming rate as there are so many of them in a quick space of time. Do any sprays or burners to disperse them ?

Traceyh