big brown & yellow wasps?

we have a lot of huge wasps - not the usual kind, these are the size of large queen wasps and are brown and yellow more than black and yellow.

They are not the size of hornets though - somewhere inbetween a wasp and a hornet.

Anyone know anything about them?

I looked up hornets on the web, and yes they do appear to be them!

The next question, of course, is what actually are the monstrous rounded brown things that the locals call frelons??? I haven't found any pictures remotely like them on the net!

Who's the nutter with the chainsaw, Chris? 

I saw a funny thing the other day, wasp-like but loooong body.  About 3-4cm long with a prominent yellow head and very bright yellow tail, black body.  Very long yellow legs.  Hovering and darting flight, like a dragonfly in habit.  It was buzzing around some shrubs and didn't look like something to tangle with.  I've heard of something called an asile-frelon that eats flies and wasps.  Anyone confirm what they look like and if it is likely to be what I saw?

[quote user="Chris Head"]

My mentor and idol Cassis, taught me alot about cutting stuff other than wood with our wee toys. He can get blood out of a stone....he's OK once you get to know him.

Could it have been a 'humming bird moth'? Did it have a rather pronounced probiscus?

Chris

[/quote]

With friends like him who needs enemies!