bees bees and more bees!!

Frank

H everyone, hope some one has an answer for my query!!!

What is it about a particular property that bees seem to want to adopt as their home, no matter how many times you try to move them on???  Last year we had a problem in one of the chimneys and the apiarist couldn't get to them, so we had to call sublim in.  No probs after that, they legged it!  This year however the problem seems to be getting much worse.  Monday saw the arrival of scout bees looking for somewhere to stay, no more ado, called in the apiarist, who smokes them out of the attic etc and sprayed repellent around area of entry.  Kind neighbour popped round in the evening to block all holes.  Problem sorted thinks I, no such luck, tues afternoon, spy bees sniffing round a chimney stack, find small hole and hey presto, new home!!! Another kind friend popped round, threw homemade (now pattented) mesh over chimney, sprayed product and hey presto, no more bees.....................until today!!!!!!! The pesky little blighters have found a small hole in another chimney stack, (which have all been blocked off after last yrs bees!)  So have run up yet another mesh cover for kind neighbour to fit this evening when they are all sleeping and spray.  Any one any suggestions on how to deter them from wanting to adopt our property???? We can't afford to keep paying apiarists to sort them out and I'm running out of mesh!!!  I know this is a bit like war and peace, but I really need to find a solutyion before the letting season starts, whilst not stung yet, it doesn't look nice!! They are some kind of honey bee and normally, I leave nature to take care of herself, but I am a bit chicken when it comes to flying stinging critters!!!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Jetlag

Had this problem for 5 years. Each year a queen would return with her swarm and nest in the chimney between the liner and the chimney proper. Tried everything non-lethal to make them go but no use. In the end got so fed up with them coming down the chimney into the insert and into the house that I took out some bricks up in the grenier and managed to pull out a bucket full of honey comb. This was after having to spray through the hole made by the removed bricks. Then concreted in a metal tube with an end cap that can be removed to inject a dose of spray if needed. As I say tried all non-lethal ways of making them go, mothballs, those yellow scented candles, smoke but the instinct to return to the point of origin seems to be just too strong and we did have the whole swarm in the living room on one occasion which was a bit dangerous for both us and our pets, still feel a bit guilty though.....................J

HI jackie

Thanks for your reply, I think our best course of action will be to remove all the chimneys, we have an external inox for our poele so all others are decor only.  I think the problem then will be they will try and get in through the tiles etc. Oh well, lets hope this next battle sorts 'em out at least for this season, then try and find a product to spray the exterior of all the buildings to stop it next yr!!  Funny, but I don't have a problem ( or maybe they are the problem) with all the bumble bees that are buzzin around our huge horse chestnut tree, quite soothing the gentle buzz from them!! Thanks again

Jetlag

Hello (Buzz) Jetlag

We have a (buzz) problem with bees. Rang the pompiers as instructed (buzz) but they said NON look in pages jaune! Rang the Mairie (buzz) and they said they would get an apiarist to call, still waiting! They are in the roof space of our gite (buzz), in all of our shutters (buzz) and in the pool area. They even came down our chimney but we lit the fire and they (buzzed) off.

Who or what is the sublim?

Our first guests come in 10 days, Help!

Brian 

On Monday we too had a group of scout bees buzzing around our roof outside the bathroom.  We called an  apiarist and he said to keep an eye on them and that they may just buzz off.  Yesterday the queen had obviously arrived 'cos' at about 3pm it was like a scene of biblical proportions.  Very frightening actually - a huge black,  buzzing cloud formed above the whole surface of our roof for about 10 minutes and then they figured out where the 'door' was and in they went. All our eldrly neighbours were out to watch the performance and they all had many stories of past experiences with bees.  Some very amusing stories - but I'll tell you about those another time.  

We have called 5 apiarists and none of them are interested.  Another has just called to refuse.  They've entered under the roof tiles and got in through the bathroom ventilation system and are now comfortably installed between the bathroom ceiling and the roof.  There are about 5 every day in the bath tub and I'm worried for my daughter - her bedroom is next door to the bathroom. 

My husband was stung yesterday evening and another one tried attacking me in the face.  We were pulling up some weeds and apparently they don't like the sound of tapping.  So many of the apiarists have said how lucky we are to have bees and that getting stung is good for you.  I really don't want cause them harm but our 8 year old likes playing in the garden in the fine weather and we eat out a lot in the summer near that part of the house and a lot of tapping and clinking goes on during the meals[:)]

We have now called the 'pompiers' again and told them that no apiarist can help us with our problem.  They say that when this happens they can in fact intervene and destroy the hive.  It costs 75 euro.  I think I know what I'm going to do - but I'm interested in what you lot with the same problem would do?

If they are honey bees, in Twinks case they certainly are, and they have actually installed themselves in a roof space, have them killed as soon as possible before they generate too much honey. The honey will stay where it is and attract others, it can also start to run with temperatures in a roof  and come through the ceiling.

Chris

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, seems I have now got them under control again, thanks to some very kind and brave neighbours!!! All chimneys now have attractive (soon to be pattented) mosquito nets on them, tied down and have all been sprayed very enthusiasticly with a product called barrage des insects.  It kills insects on contact and the bees fly on to the net and drop dead!!  ( a few miniutes after of course) The scouts in the chimney are also dead, as are all others found in the roof vicinity.  It is a product my french neighbours use in abundance and they use it to kill nests when they appear also (when bees are sleeping of course!) and anything else that flies!!   So here I sit with one ear permanently poised for the arrival of yet more bees with barrage des insects at the ready!!  The pompiers price of 75 euros is very good, sublime cost 125euro last yr with a 3 month guarantee.  Good luck with getting your nest removed twinks, I know how you feel with them buzzin around, not nice at all!!

Thanks again

Jetlag

Apparently when it starts dirzzling it will be through my bathroom ceiling and I don't normally eat toast when I'm in the bath so.......[:)]

The neighbours have been speculating that when the bees are at work the only activity you see outside of the hive is the comings and goings of the bees who are busy collecting pollen.  They find it strange that there is a lot of activity outside our roof tiles where the bees just seem to be buzzing around the entrance.

Any ideas why this maybee Chrispp?