What birds have you got?

Here;s my list: blue tit, great tit, long-tailed tit, blackbird, sparrow, goldfinch, greenfinch, chaffinch, nuthatch, starling, crow, rook, magpie, jay, cuckoo (heard not seen), hoopoe, golden oriole, buzzard, kestrel, nightingale (heard not seen), pheasant, partridge, pied wagtail, wren (very rarely), robin, wood pigeon. Think that's it. No thrushes nor other finches.

Blackcaps, a barn owl and a spotted woodpecker, along with your list.

The most notable exception as far as France vs England is concerned, is the Songthrush. The one living near us in the UK is very loud, sits on our TV ariel and sings his heart out at all times of the day. I've only ever heard ONE in the 5 years we've had the property.

From Lot-et-Garonne, can I add:- goldfinch, firecrest or goldcrest (not sure which!), nightjar, cirl bunting, kite, skylark.  The winter before last we had numerous bramblings at our bird table and frequent visits from a hawfinch.  Neither one were seen last winter.

[quote user="Ford Anglia"]

Blackcaps, a barn owl and a spotted woodpecker, along with your list.

The most notable exception as far as France vs England is concerned, is the Songthrush. The one living near us in the UK is very loud, sits on our TV ariel and sings his heart out at all times of the day. I've only ever heard ONE in the 5 years we've had the property.

[/quote]

No such lack of song thrush here. They have been singing like mad for the last three or four weeks.  One morning I was sure the nightingales were back but it was the thrush again (up and singing very early)

Danny

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Our first Hoopoe arrived this morning, sorry about the poor picture quality (it was some distance away)

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Hoopoe.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

I am jealous to death.  We used to have Hoopoes in Africa but we have never had any here,  in fact, I have never seen one anywhere in France[:(].  Lucky you![:D]

I have a new one,  well, he is actually just outside my garden gate.  It is a huge and beautiful c*ck pheasant.  He came yesterday evening right up to the gate and did that harsh, grating call and stayed for a few moments and then walked away up the road.  Nice I thought, and forgot him but this evening he did exactly the same thing.  It was almost as if he was asking to come in.  How wierd,  I will be watching tomorrow to see if he comes again.

Most amazing experience last night, I happened to go out on our balcony about midnight and heard a bird singing! It was just lovely and I thought it could only be a Nightingale, although I've never heard one. I nipped straight back in to the computer and checked the Nightingale's song on the RSPB site and sure enough it was the same. There were a number of owls calling to and I was a bit worried Mr Nightingale would give his position away (not sure if Owls eat small birds). I shall check tonight to see if he's come back.

Jude

If you are interested in the French names for all these oiseauxs have a look at this site. Some have the song too...

http://www.oiseaux.net/ .

Lots in English as well..

We had a couple of cocque phesants over the winter. One was delicious [6]!!! We also have a couple of hoophoes occasionally too, strange looking, but lovely machines. Very interesting call too[8-)].

I picked up a tiny Siberian warbler yesterday. It had flown into my workshop window and died from the colision. It was a lovely, tiny bird, very sad...

Just so that I can know what I'm replying to,  is this,    Birds in my garden now?    Birds that I have had in my garden over the last year?    Birds that I see locally?   Birds that I've seen in France? or Birds that nest in my garden?

Chris

I haven't had much chance to put any down yet, but I have just been out to let our dog out and there is a nightingale singing it's heart out! What a wonderful sound on a quiet, still night!!

I expect you will get your answer soon Chris?

OK, I'll do birds in my garden this week.[:D]

Lesser spotted woodpecker, Greater spotted woodpecker, Green woodpecker, Golden oriole, Nightingale, Wren, Chaffinch, Tree creeper, Chiff chaff, Blackcap, Melodious warbler, Song thrush, Meadow pipit, Blackbird, Quail, Long tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Robin, Collared dove, Wood pigeon, Crow, Magpie, Jay, House martin, Kestrel, Buzzard, Tawny owl, Little owl, Cirl bunting, House sparrow, Hen harrier, Cuckoo.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

OK, I'll do birds in my garden this week.[:D]

Lesser spotted woodpecker, Greater spotted woodpecker, Green woodpecker, Golden oriole, Nightingale, Wren, Chaffinch, Tree creeper, Chiff chaff, Blackcap, Melodious warbler, Song thrush, Meadow pipit, Blackbird, Quail, Long tailed tit, Blue tit, Great tit, Robin, Collared dove, Wood pigeon, Crow, Magpie, Jay, House martin, Kestrel, Buzzard, Tawny owl, Little owl, Cirl bunting, House sparrow, Hen harrier, Cuckoo.

Chris

[/quote]

Awwwwwww, you're just trying to make us jealous Chris.  Most of ours left when we stopped feeding them but saw a goldfinch this morning.  I also found this underneath the juniper tree.  I expect it is a sparrow or other little brown job (we have plenty of those) and a beginner at that - the nest was coming apart at the seams.  It had five eggs in it and was partly made from the lichen from the pear trees.

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/miggimeggi/IMGP0842.jpg[/IMG]

Ooops, forgot Starling.

Interesting nest, Anne, looks a bit like a linnet, what's the story?  Is it on the ground and is it being used?

I suspect that people have far more birds in their garden than they realise especially when all the foliage is on the trees and bushes, in addition I probably spend far too much of my time just "poking around" looking for things.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I don't know what it is but I don't think it was being used (I hope it wasn't).  I found it under the juniper tree and assumed that it had fallen, or been pushed out.  It was half upside down and two of the 5 eggs were broken.  I did feel the eggs before I moved the nest and they were quite definitely cold so I assumed that it was no longer viable.  I had to move it because Utopie is such a greedy thing she would eat the eggs and probably half the nest with them.  I first saw it lying there from the house and I am quite sure that it could not have been built and the eggs laid without me knowing that was going on.  So, I imagine that either it fell from the juniper,  was pushed out by a bird or was taken from the juniper or somewhere else by a feral cat or some such. I think that if it had been moved far the eggs would have fallen out on the way so I think that it came from the juniper.  Are linnets one of those who nest on the ground then?   I took some pics  because I liked it, and it is now lying amongst some pot plants, probably dispensing fleas or lice.  I will have to move it or the wicked Utopie will find it and make herself sick.

The linnet was just a comment really, Anne, there's no indication of size of either the eggs or the nest. Linnets will generally nest in scrub but can nest on the ground in thickish cover, but now I'm clearer about the situation I would think it's more likely to be Goldfinch if it's a small nest and eggs, their nest is usually about 2 metres or so from the ground and not always very secure.

Can be tricky if you forget your Dunnocks, Judy.[;-)]

Chris