Nesting Bird

On our terrace, we have an old Roman-style pot that we brought over from the UK a couple of years ago.  Decorative enough, but nothing special.  About 30cms tall and a small opening on top, maybe 4cms across.

Over the last week or so, we've noticed a blue tit (I think!) diving in and and out of it at intervals.  Two of the 3 cats have spotted it (the other one is too dopey to notice) and are interested, but it all happens too quickly for them.

We don't want to shine a torch in (even in daylight, you can't see anything inside) and are reluctant to move the pot at all for fear of making the bird abandon what presumably is a nest. On the assumption that this is the case, how on earth could the chicks get out of the pot once hatched and ready to fly? 

Anything we could / should do to help things along, or do we just leave it to nature?  

They are more likely to be Great tits if they are entering from the top.

Is there a drainage hole in the bottom so that if it rains it won't flood?  If not it would be handy to rig up something to keep it dry and at the same time maybe some chicken wire if you have some to keep the cats away. Don't worry about the young getting out, if they survive they will manage it.

Chris

Chris .............

Thanks for the id - never was strong on .......... no, better not go down that track!!

Anyway, there isn't a hole in the bottom and it rained like hell for 48 hrs or so last week.  Hopefully no harm done.  I'll see what I can sort out to keep the felines at bay - trouble with them is that anything I do will just make them more curious / nosey.  Cat owners will know what I mean.

Your last sentence is what I was after.  Fingers crossed.

Thanks - I'll re-post if any eventual news. 

Ian

Quite a few baby birds dashing around our back garden at the moment. We have great-tits and blue-tits in boxes,one in an old post box and 2 lots of robins . However best of all is we have 2 baby Mistle-thrushes. Amazed at how big the parent birds are when tearing about pulling worms out. They feed the young under a bush about 1Mtr from our bedroom window, so we get a good view. We had the same event last year and presume it's because NO CATS/high hedge all the way around/2 huge walnut trees  and for the other birds large quantities of food available each day. Apart from the usual, they definatly like buttered pasta/roast spuds/de-shelled walnuts.

Never saw that Penguin at St.Malo again but I have stopped taking the tablets!! There IS a resident seal in the Rance though!!.

Regards.

I know what you mean, Tresco, I feel the same way, not only about our cat and dog, it's shocking all this killing going on.[:D]

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/philanthus-triangulum.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Well, it most certainly is a Great Tit. as Chris indicated.  I know, because (1) Chris said so, and (2) I looked it up in a very old book and it's got a black head. 

One of the cats was hovering around (just out of interest rather than anything else), but the Mum flew down, parked herself on top of the pot, gave him the two fingers and disappeared down inside!   Nobody should worry too much about the cats doing any ambushing - it's a part of the terrace that they only rarely frequent and one's too old, regal and slow, the other a bit gauche. The third doesn't know what day it is (sister of the regal one).

Thanks all.