Snake in pond

I have a small pond. Only 18 months old, but full of good things, including a little very pretty snake. I think it maybe an Adder.

It is about the same width as my little finger, quite long; with markings and a green yellow colour. It is very pretty. I like pond dipping though. I won't catch it in my net will I. Snakes are not my favourite bit of wildlife. How long to they spend in water, and is it eating other wildlife in the pond? I know thats nature, but I have lots of life in the pond.

99% sure to be a grass snake, and yes it will be eating other species, mostly small frogs and other aquatic pond life but not normally fish.

Will it eat much??  No, quite often a snake will only eat once or twice a month and "yours" sounds to be rather small, just a baby really, a decent mature female can reach close on 2 metres.

Chris

[quote user="chris pp"]

99% sure to be a grass snake, and yes it will be eating other species, mostly small frogs and other aquatic pond life but not normally fish.

Will it eat much??  No, quite often a snake will only eat once or twice a month and "yours" sounds to be rather small, just a baby really, a decent mature female can reach close on 2 metres.

Chris

[/quote]

"Decent" and "Snake" in the same sentence, Chris? Surely that's an oxymoron?[:D]

Shudders.........

Actually FA I think this time yesterday I may have agreed with you until yesterday evening, watching a documentary on snakes and lizards in Oz where there is a python who eats all the poisonous snakes in the area and does not harm to humans.  So there you have it....  A pretty decent snake