Aligator Alert

Heard on the radio news this morning that 2 barges collided in the Mosel yesterday and as a result a tank containing 10 alligators was knocked into the river. they were on their way to 'Wallygator' animal park near Metz. The animals have not been recovered but they are not thought to be a danger as it is cold and they will be lethargic. However, the annual April fishing competition has been called off as a precaution.

I think the truth is that no one really knows.  It's tied in with the whole April fool/Gregorian calendar change, but celebrations on April 1st seem to pre-date the change.  But you're right, one of the most common reasons offered is that fish in April are likely to be very young, stupid, and easy to catch and reel in.  Nowadays the fishing season starts earlier though (it started here about 3 weeks ago).

Or it could be due to the sun leaving the sign of Pisces at around this time.

Or it could be due a subtle change of the word poisson over the centuries.  I could be wrong, but I'm sure I remember having this explained to me back in the 80s by a French friend.  Only wish I could remember what she actually said [:(]

Not very clear is it    http://www.france-pittoresque.com/anecdotes/39.htm

But if you hadn't heard about the poisson Pierre, be careful you haven't got one on your back.  That's the big joke here, where everyone laughs all day while you walk around unawares with it.  Ha, ha, ha, great fun isn't it ! [:P]

Reminds me of one of my dinner time stories, I used to ask if they knew there used to be Alligators in the River Stour at Christchurch. Usually followed by a small bet. No-one ever believed me so I actually got the Bournemouth Echo to reprint the story. There was a Fun Fair and Circus on the fields by Iford Bridge and one night 3 alligators escaped from there pen and went into the River Stour. There were a few searches and they weren't found , then a chap out walking his dog came across one laying in the grass,then one more was found. Like the other story ,the Circus said as the water was so cold they would be very dozy/lethargic.From memory one wasn't found. The Sun did try to get a story by having a bikini clad model in a rowing boat screaming and pointing at some object in the river,I think she was a bit dozy and lethargic as well.

Regards.