bonfire

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/Mooky_011/bonfire.jpg[/IMG]

I really wish I knew how to do this picture thing  properly. The picture should be showing a very large bonfire. Last year a tree fell down in the field opposite me. This year many birds have nested in it. I know at the moment there are young birds in there. Twice I have asked field owner not to set fire to it. Today I went out, and came back to burning tree. Why, such total vandalism. I am so upset about this. Mr Mrs Blackbird are too;

How sad mooky, why couldn't they wait until autumn, like you I can't understand why people have to do such things. We have stopped work on a small wall because 3 pairs of blue t its are raising young in our pile of blocks, it is lovely just to sit and watch the adults scurrying backwards and forwards trying to keep their ever hungry brood fed.

Two years ago my wife was annoyed with me when I downed tools on the barn conversion because it was disturbing the black redstart that was nesting in a niche in one of the inside walls.

Trouble is, most of us are townies, and love the countryside, whereas those who have lived there all their lives and sometimes have to earn a living from it, view it differently...........

Your neighbour would not tell you what to do on your land and does not expect you to tell him what he may/may not do on his. This is my view on rural France and does not necessarily indicate support for one side or the other.

I am surprised though that he has chosen to burn it rather than cut it up for firewood - none of our neighbours would do that.

John

I don't care a toss what he does on his land, but surely birds, wildlife belong to us all, whose ever land they are on.

Hearing a blackbird mom giving a distress call because her new family are being smoked, burn to death is distressing to me, because I care, passionatley about such things. We are caretakers of this world, so we should look after it.

""Your neighbour would not tell you what to do on your land and does not expect you to tell him what he may/may not do on his""

If it's within the law fair enough, but in this case if they knew the birds were nesting then it was an illegal act.

Simple enough.

Chris

I was working with my tractor when I realised that there was a nest in the cab......with babies in it. When I returned to tractor to its shed, Mrs Redstart came back to the nest. None of them seemed very bothered by the experience, so the next time I needed to use the tractor, mother flew off and I nannied the babies. Once they were big enough to leave the nest, I did have to check carefully that they did not go under the wheels. A few weeks later, a second lot of eggs appeared...and hatched...