What Snake Was it?

The other night I had a snake in my bedroom. It was about 12 inches long and very slender. I've attached a link (copy and paste) of a photo I took so I'd be grateful if someone could identify it for me (as long as it wasn't a baby adder I don't mind too much). My roofer said that he's found metre-long snakes living under the terracotta tiles before in other houses.

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z188/rich23434565/snake_crop.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="chris pp"]

I think you can rest assured that it's a grass snake.[:D]

Chris

[/quote]

Ah, an innocent little grass snake. Thanks for clearing it up [:)] It was put outside in the long grass by the barn so no snakes were injured during the making of this thread!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

How did you capture it, they squiggle away so quickly?

[/quote]

Um...well first I tried getting it to cling onto a long rod [:$] but it fell onto the floor (it was initially wrapped around the loose telephone cable on the wall). So it slithered under a chest, which had to get pulled away from the wall, and then it tried slithering under the bed. By this time I was getting a bit bored with it all so I threw a towel over it and bundled it out of the door and into the night. I don't mind snakes at all but i) I wouldn't want one loose in the house at night and ii) I wouldn't want it slithering into my bed when I was asleep.

How did you know that it wasn't a viper?  Presumably if it had been one, it could have bitten you through a towel?  How do you pick up a poisonous snake safely?  Can you call the pompiers to catch a snake?

[When I was a child (in Gloucestershire), I thought that snakes lived under my bed and when I got out in the night, I would jump clear.  This is the nightmare coming true.]

Now you scare me, I won't be able to sleep tonight !!!!

Gonna check under the bed first thing..

but then the dog sleeps under the bed= his favourite place....

Oh lal j ai peurrrrrrrrrrrrr

Could this happen even in recent houses?? Mine was built in 2000 .

[quote user="Cathy"]

How did you know that it wasn't a viper?  Presumably if it had been one, it could have bitten you through a towel?  How do you pick up a poisonous snake safely?  Can you call the pompiers to catch a snake?

[/quote]

I didn't know it wasn't a viper, lol. Hence my initial use of three-foot long rods to try and get it out (plus there was no way I was going to touch the thing with my bare hands!). I do have thick leather gauntlets that I should've used. As it was making for my bed I didn't have any choice but to throw the towel on it and get it out as fast as possible. With hindsight, the grass snake was actually very pretty, with lovely leopard-like markings and a beautifully shaped head. Maybe I will see it again out and about in garden.

Christine, you wicked woman, what a thought!

On the other hand, if I were her and I wanted to do that, I'd make sure it's at least a viper or one of those huge coulerves that will frighten the life out of poor Rich.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

On the other hand, if I were her and I wanted to do that, I'd make sure it's at least a viper or one of those huge coulerves that will frighten the life out of poor Rich.

[/quote]

Please don't give that snooty chit any ideas! Actually if she wanted to scare me into insanity and beyond she'd have to use another creature beginning with 's' of which I am genuinely petrified (no, not 'Sooty'... [8-)] )

I think so Cathy , I would call and ask them.

I asked advice for a brand of snake repellant on another thread, got no answer..

Any idea?

I just hate snakes , I'm sorry, I wouldn't do them harm but I don't want to see them closer than 500 metres from me   [:-))]

[quote user="Rich1972"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

Please don't give that snooty chit any ideas! Actually if she wanted to scare me into insanity and beyond she'd have to use another creature beginning with 's' of which I am genuinely petrified (no, not 'Sooty'... [8-)] )
[/quote]

Rich, don't tell me you are scared of SPIDERS?

Are you a man or a mouse, you big softie?

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Rich1972"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Rich, don't tell me you are scared of SPIDERS?

Are you a man or a mouse, you big softie?

[/quote]

I'm not overly keen on anything that crawls about but spiders are definitely my Room 101 creature. Everything about them, even the word itself, makes me shudder with revulsion.

[:'(]