What are these called

mooky

[IMG]http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n140/Mooky_011/wildlife001.jpg[/IMG]

So many growing around a tree stump. I know they aren't edible, or someone would have picked them by now.

Does anyone know what they are called? My neighbours dog pees on the tree stump twice a day!

Hello Mooky,

Looks like Armillaria mellea (honey fungus).

Roger Phillips' in his book 'Mushrooms' says edible when cooked - in small quantities as some forms are known to cause stomach upsets - I've never tried them.

Very common in dense clusters around trunks or stumps of deciduous (especially hazel) and coniferous trees  - one of the most dangerous parasites of trees - causes white rot and death - no cure - spreads by long black 'bootlaces' which can travel long distances to infect other trees.

I'm a memeber of the Huntingdon Fungus Group.

Have a holiday house in SE Vendee - will be there next week - hoping the good weather holds.

Will try to find time to foray for fungi in the nearby Mervent Vouvant forest.

Jono

Thank you, that makes so much sense, because the tree stump they are around was a lovely weeping willow until last year when it wept for the last time. Just died. The commune have planted another tree next to it, but thats having a problem.

Hi, i have these too and they have just developed recently, last three weeks. My problem is that when i googled it they said that Catalpa ( Indian bean tree ) are one of the less susceptible and ok to plant, guess what i have...correct,  and guess which tree has the fungus....correct again.

A bit of history now, this tree died last year after a weak previous years growth and i should have got rid long time ago but wife uses it to hang washing line from......problem i have now is that i have another Catalpa 2 metres away and a Lleylandii ( spelling ???) hedge going round the whole garden, closest proximity is 1 metre. Will my hedge get affected ? and should i cut and take out the other Catalpa before it spreads to this and others, i have lime trees and peach trees ( again very poor last 2 years ) Hugh.

hope you enjoyed it.

'quoting from Roger Phillips Mushroom book.

the fungus spreads by long black cords called rhizomorphs resembling bootlaces which can be found beneath the bark of infected trees, on roots or in the soil, where they can travel large distances to infect other trees. this is one of the most dangerous parasites of trees, causing an intensive white rot and ultimately death. There is no cure and the fungus is responsible for large losses of timber each year.

Bah humbug, doom and more doom- I know. Honestly though it is not a funny subject and if I had it in my garden, I would seek professional advice and deal with it pronto, and not waste time with a petition.