Badgers in France

odile

I have just returned from a Wildlife Trust meeting. We watched an excellent video on badgers in France, filmed mainly in Oise. It was made with the support of the Oise Council by an association called MELES BP 60132  60201 Compiègne. diected by Virginie Boyaval. A beautiful film explaining the behaviour and habitat of the badger, and the specific problems the species has in France- where it isn't protected. A beautiful documentary - but with a sickening scene of the 'sport' of badger digging (dogs, spades and plyers involved) which is still very popular with terriermen in France.

Badgers have been decimated in France by gassing setts in order to eradicate foxes and rabies (both species often share setts, + rabbits and in France, wildcats).

Snaring and poisoning is also a huge problem. there is very little TB in cattle in France, and research has shown that it is linked to cattle movements and deer, NOT badgers.

Well done to Oise for supporting the making of the film and involving schools in understanding this wonderful animal better.

Badgers are beautiful creatures.

In France I see less than in UK though lots are killed on the roads in UK.

There are a couple of sets near me.

It is absolutely disgusting when people think it is sport to attack these animals.

As a member of the Badger Trust, I would be grateful for any anecdoctes, sightings, experiences, incidents regarding badgers in France. I would also urge all posters to send me information re. badger digging competitions in your area (Déterrage de blaireaux). Very grateful on behalf our our friend brock.

• 1 month later...
Odile, we saw a badger just the other night on our way back from the cinema at about midnight - it crossed the road a little way in front of us.

Dept 65 near Castelnau Magnoac. We have seen odd ones before around here but not on a regular basis at all, some live as this one, others as Dog says dead by the side of the road. I'd say no more than 4 or 5 max in almost 4 years.

Lou

I witnessed one being killed the other night on the road from Gaillac to Castres (Tarn) when we were driving back from a concert.  It was a straight road and it came out from nowhere - the person I was with who was driving didn't have even a second to break and so the poor thing slammed into the VW van and was killed instantly.

The alternative was either to swerve to the right into a line of hundred year old plane trees or in the opposite direction straight into oncoming traffic.

[:(]

thanks Christine - just what I needed to know. Champagne-Ardennes this year - will they ever learn?

Twinkle - you are right- no choice. but i do hope it will never happen to me. thank goodness you and your friends were not injured. by the way, badgers are often stunned out cold but actually not dead. I have known of many instances were badgers have disappeared from the impact spot - and actually 2 occasions here when badgers woke up on the back of a seat after being picked up! One guy actually had his 2 young children in the car- 1 on the back seat with the badger! NOT a good idea.

Never swerve - it has the potential to make things worse if you are off line or off balance.

I once hit a badger at 70mph on my motorcycle - I kept straight and it just stopped and I hit it and took off - being in a straight line I was OK.

I went back to the poor beast and it was still on the floor breathing heavily - I was worried about getting close - then it snorted got up and ran and I did too.

[quote user="Dog"]

I will ask the local idiots with guns where why when and what.

[/quote]

With that kind of attitude I'm sure they will fall over themselves trying to be helpful!

If they are as you say "idiots", I'm intrigued to know you're reasoning behind such a comment or is this just another one of your antagonistic posts?

by the way, I always have an old blanket in the boot of the car- if you ever come across an animal rta- covering it with a blanket is the best way to pacify them until help can come. an injured badger can be dangerous and even if you are trying to help, may not understand your good intentions- so be careful and leave it to the expert who will be properly equipped (in the UK at least) with butchers chainmail gloves and graspers - and will know how to lift a badger into a suitable cage safely. Not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced - and most vets haven't got a clue about badgers.