Snake ID Please

Just went to get my washing in, and found this on the path between me and the washing line.

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a231/suninfrance/P1060554.jpg[/IMG]

About two foot long.  Scared the living daylights out of me.  Is it just a harmless grass snake?

Chriss PP I am sure will do the honours, but the fact that the eyes are round (rather than slit) tells you it is not venomous. In fact Chris' own site has an excellent section on snakes. Take a look.

I would say classic grass snake

Great picture by the way

I have Chris's site saved under my favourites and always refer to it.  Wasn't sure about this one though, but as you say, I'm sure it's not the venomous kind because of the eye shape.  Still managed to scare me though as I wasn't expecting to find that in broad 34C daylight outside my back door.

I know we are waiting for Chris, I think its a smooth snake, harmless.

Grass snakes have a sort of collar white or yellow next to the black band, that's how I recognise them.

Recently vacuuming some mouse droppings from around the chauffage eau (horizontal tank) I saw the offending souris and threatened to suck him up the vacuum if he did not clear up behind him or pack his bags.

He was cowering in the corner, then I saw why...........Couleuvre verte et jaune and around 1.5m. That was too much, grabbed the snake and tried to remove it but it anchored itself around the plumbing so no chance without harming it which I did not want to do. I can still hear it sometimes moving around in the walls. Don't tell the guests [Www] 

You had it in your grasp,

"Grass snakes have a sort of collar white or yellow next to the black band, that's how I recognise them."

but you forgot that the collar can be any colour or even absent in some cases, it is a Grass snake, very pretty.

Chris

That's why we were waiting for you Chris [:)]

I am more familiar with the UK grass snakes.

Yes, I had a proper grasp but it was quite strong and wraped around the plumbing pipes which made it impossible to un-wind at that attempt.

Thanks Chris

OH scooped up offending snake in his fishing landing net and took it for a walk up the hill and deposited it on a nice patch of cool green grass, then legged it home. 

No harm to snake, but it hissed all the way to it's new home.

As for the mice.  Humane trap with peanut butter (crunchy or smooth - they don't care - but they love the stuff).  Then remove snake to at least 3 miles away and it won't come back.

Hi Clair

Thank you.

Unfortunately my Flickr subscription runs out tomorrow and I'm not renewing it.  Not that it's hugely expensive, but I've discovered people nicking my photos and claiming them as their own.  You can still view my photos on

http://jan19230.phanfare.com which at the moment is free, and copyright is copyright - and you get music with the slide shows too.

I don't mind at all if you link to it. More the merrier.

If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll add you to my contacts you will get an update (hopefully), each time I update the site.

Jan

xx

Many thanks.  I does me best.  Doesn't always work out, but that's the joy of digital cameras.  You can delete as you go along.

I'm pretty hopeless at remembering the names of the flowers, particulary the wildflowers, but I do enjoy being a "happy snapper".

[quote user="Clair"]Suninfrance, what an amazing photo collection you have on your flicker album!

I have linked to it via a www button.[/quote]

What stunning photos Jan; it was a delight to look at them. They made my evening; thank you.

Sue [:)]

Thanks for the comments Sue.  Much appreciated.

Chris - I had the snake moved because I have 5 cats that love to play with anything that moves.  I was giving the snake a fighting chance having watched my moggies "play" with a smaller version last year.

I am a nature lover, so was protecting the species.  Here I seem to get one large snake a year, an see no others for the rest of the year, so assume it was just sunbathing.  At least I know that wherever it is, it is safe from my cats.