Les Biches rutting - the Video link

baypond

Hi, OK this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWyfUW6AKE

This is a small part of the video footage taken last week in the field behind our house near Lectoure, Gers. Appologies that the first 20 seconds is of the ground, because as I approached the deer behind the bushes and could hear them, but not see them.
Chris.... perhaps you can reveal their sex?

Giles

Thanks for the comments!

I was a bit gobsmacked at the time. The begining of the video (not shown) is from about 50 metres, but they drifted over a ridge and behind the bushes. I crept down there hoping to get a closer look, but didn't realise I would get within 10 or 15 metres.

Giles

Isn't that clip just lovely.

You should appreciate it - here in 47 they are training hunters to use crossbows to shoot Bambi !!!

And in another Department they've shot and killed so many Bambi's that hunting 'has had to be suspended'....!!!

So enjoy while you can - lucky you.

Chessie

In our region, in the new year, miles of nets are strung out across deer routes. The deer are then driven towards them where they are caught and restrained by many volunteers, bussed in for the occasion. They are then tagged and released (the deer not the volunteers). For the rest of the year, strange men with tracking devices can be found all over the place. Presumably tracking the deer. I am not sure what happens to all the information that is collected but I think Toulouse university is involved. Does anyone have any information about this?

Hi Mik, not 100% but it may be a local census organised by/for the chasse to keep a head count of local herds/stocks, this info is used by the hunt organisers to regulate the amount and ages of game that can be taken by the local chasse. EG ; perhaps 3 adult males, 1 adult female and 3/4 juveniles, that will regulate the male populus thus keep a healthy head count, one female to keep breeding populus under check and juveniles also to keep stock control. I have said that i'm not sure about this so i can be corrected and also the numbers will be greatly different, the above are examples only, hugh.