A very large black something

Today a large black animal ran across the road in front of us.

It was bigger than a domestic cat, with a long black tail.  I would guess the body, excluding the tail, was about 40 cms.  Tail a similar length.

Its gait was more like a weasel's than a cat's, it had a humpy undulating run.

Any ideas?

We live in the South-East of the Gers, in the country.

PS

Has anyone else noticed a dearth of all swallows, house-martens and swifts this year?

I can never tell which of the three they are, I just call them hirondelles; but there are a lot which fly around where we live, and the evening sky is busy with them when we go for a walk. Having said that, there are a lot fewer than last year and the year before. I haven't noticed any bats yet either; they've normally been in evidence before now.

Alas I can't get the details on my computer - but no, I don't think so.

We are VERY familiar with the fouine (killed all my chickens last December) and this was much larger and darker.

Glad to hear some-one's got hirondelles - i believe they are in freefall decline, so whatever we can do to help, we should.  I wonder if the Mairies could help by taking off all that netting they put on public buildings to prevent nesting.

Does any-one know if there is a movement to do this?  Has any-one tried?

what about a coypou or the french call it a ragondin I think. I saw one and thought it was an otter, to be told I was wrong. A large type of rat, that the Uk and French, perhaps all europe and trying to cull

Actually ragondins have more in common with beavers than rats. There's a pair breeding just down the road from us and they look slightly comical. That said, the UK wiped them out decades ago (there used to be a price on their heads) because they cause so much damage to river banks and aquatic plants. You can buy ragondin paté in the Vendée, but they're a bit odd down there.

I think I'm right in saying that ragodin are coypu, native to South America, and brought to Europe to control the very thing they set about to destroy - the weedy river and canal banks.  (They are vegetarian.)

We are not very good custodians of the planet, are we?

Any more ideas about the big black something?

The likelihood is that your creature was an American mink, (same as in the UK.)

Swallows are not in free-fall, that would be an exaggeration, decline yes but for a combination of reasons.

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/hirondelle.rustique.html

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/hirondelle.de.fenetre.html

Coypu were introduced into the wild in France by accident from fur farms.

Chris

I've looked at those links to swallows Chris, thanks for those. I only see them from below, as they soar rapidly above our apartment block, making it difficult to decide which they are. Now we have binoculars here with us it might be easier!  [:)]  Just around the corner is a Rue des Hirondelles; when we go for an evening stroll there are many to be seen. There are mostly villas around there and not as many trees as in our garden, which mask them from our window; for the last couple of years the sky looked very full of them, but this year there are fewer.

I was a bit tired last night when I posted and I rarely use this forum now because I have to change browsers to be able to post.

The animal could also have been a Polecat, both North American Mink and Polecat would fit the ticket from your brief description.

On the "bird front" if you live in a town or larger village you may also have swifts just to confuse the issue.

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/martinet.noir.html

and near some rivers, old quarries etc.. Sand martin...

http://www.oiseaux.net/oiseaux/hirondelle.de.rivage.html

This year has been bad for all of them in France, Swifts, Swallows and House martins with many birds starving due to the poor weather, cold spring and lack of insects. No doubt the number of young will be reduced substantially as well.

Chris

Thankyou Chris - I was so pleased to see  your response.

I'll settle for the mink - I know the polecat and don't think it was this.

We have so few of the swallows, swifts, martins and so on that I am relieved to hear of any sightings.

Hope people will keep cats away from the young...I live in hope!