help identifying bird please

Frank

Hi everyone, need some help identifying a bird I have just seen in the garden. Didn't have time to get a pic, so here goes!!

Quite a large, sturdy looking bird, about 6 inches with a large beak. Looked to be mainly black and white, with definate white strip on wing and a brown (I think) underside. It flew from the ground onto the tree trunk then ran up the trunk and branch, not seen this behaviour before (most birds fly between branches etc) so first thought it might be a woodpecker or similar. I have trawled through my books but not seen anything that matches what I saw!! I am in dept 17 about 25km for the sea, so if anyone has seen similar or even better, knows what it is, it would be much appreciated,

many thanks

jetlag

Hi

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I think I have narrowed it down to a woodpecker, I saw it again this morning and took a somewhat blurry pic through the window, and it definately looks like a woodpecker, possibly a female great spotted as there is no red cap. It's the first time I have seen one, so lets hope there are more!!

Thanks again

ps, it likes walnuts!