Grand(e) versus gros(se)

Mishtoon

Can anyone give me a brief summary of when to use grand/grande versus when to use gros/se.  I've read up in my OU-recommended mammoth Robert Collins Dictionary but am now even more confused.  The two seem interchangeable from the dictionary.

Confused of Dept 47!

I haven't thought it through, this is straight off gut feeling, but I think I would use gros when I could replace big with large (large meaning big not large=wide. Oh I'm so clear ) and use grand the rest of the time. Except for people because gros means fat in that situation (although this doesn't necessarily work for animals a gros chien could be a fat dog or a big dog) Gros gives a feeling of all round bigness

I'm sure someone can give you better guidelines than that.

I have been driven mad for years by pupils who have been taught that gros=big and now confuse big and fat

I agree with Mistral, here are my additional gut feelings:

If I said "gros chien" as opposed to "grand chien" it would have faint but tangible negative connotations; people know what I mean. I couldn't say "un gros chien supergentil"...

For people grand is tall, gros is fat. You can be grand and skinny as a rake.

There's a hint of grossness in gros. Just a hint. Which may be on the part of the speaker or on the part of his subject. Gross people use the word more freely than civilised speakers but their use of it is less negative.