OU L211 - Toughts Please

Sue56

• 2 weeks later...

OK, This is how I remember OU level 2 French.

Study time - 15 hours/week. Of course this may vary depending on your present level and abilities, but I think whatever, you have to be prepared to commit at least 10 hours (although probably more) per week.

TMAs consist of a longer word length than those of L120 (between 400-600 words, I think), and spoken assessments of about 4 minutes. Personally I found the longer word length of written assessments less restricting and therefore easier. But, admit that the longer oral assessments can take quite a lot of planning. L211 also has the residential school, which many past students quote as being a very worthwhile and beneficial experience.

As far as the course structure goes, I think you will find the general outlay similar to L120, with a focus on listening to, and reading authentic material, and quite a lot of grammar to be had along the way. I think the main difference is in the topics covered, with more emphasis on French society, politics, culture, arts etc. However, they save the really good stuff for level 3!

I think the main challenge you're faced with when moving to level 2, is the exam. The oral is similar to the L120 ECA oral, but you will have to give a longer presentation (of 4 mins if I remember correctly) on a slighty more challenging topic. You will be sent details beforehand, so will have the opportunity to do some preparation at home, but could be given any 1 of 4 topics on the day. As with L120, you will be in a room with up to 3 other students each giving your presentation in turn and then a group discussion of a further 8 minutes. There is NO opportunity for a 'virtual' online version of this - you will have to attend in person.

The written part of the exam, held on the same day as the oral, is similar to a TMA, but you will obviously have a time limit. Again, if I remember correctly, it's approx 450 words in 2.5 hours.

For me personally, the daunting oral exam component was the worst thing about studying both level 2 and 3.

If you have successfully completed L120, then I don't see any reason why you won't succeed in L211. Yes, of course it is more difficult, but that is the whole point - it's called progression!

Finally, I feel that if you do decide to do L211, then you should also consider doing L310, as the two complement each other and make up the Diploma in French - a  degree level qualification. I feel the qualification itself (as well as the sense of achievement) is probably the main reason for studying at this level. Let's face it, study at this level goes way beyond simple conversation or 'getting by' skills.

'Hope my lengthy ramble helps you to come to a decision.

Julie

www.francoservices.com

Thanks Julie - really useful info.

obviously realise L211 is harder than L120 but there are some areas I still feel shaky on and although recapping now didn't want to commit myself until I was confident with L120 content.  Registered for the Diploma originally but started with L120 - like you say just for personal satisfaction.

Thanks again.

Sue

[quote]Thanks Julie - really useful info. obviously realise L211 is harder than L120 but there are some areas I still feel shaky on and although recapping now didn't want to commit myself until I was confid...[/quote]

If there are points (of grammar?) which you feel shaky about, don't forget you will have your tutor to ask, and if you are in the UK there will be the face-to-face tutorials every month - your tutor should be happy to go over any doubtful areas during them. Go for it!

Malcolm (tutor on L211, OU region 05)

Hi Malcolm-Thanks for advice/encouragement.  I probably didn't ask my tutor enough advice whilst doing L120 - a bit too independant at times, for what good it did me!!

As a tutor - would you be able to tell me what level L120 is actually at.  Is it above GCSE at AS level or at A2 level?  Have been asked quite often but don't know exactly where it comes in NQF.  Was thinking may be doing an A level before attacking L211.

Have posed question to OU direct but obviously v.busy at this time of year and waiting response.

Any advice greatly appreciated from yourself or anyone else having been down this route.

Sue

[quote]Hi Malcolm-Thanks for advice/encouragement. I probably didn't ask my tutor enough advice whilst doing L120 - a bit too independant at times, for what good it did me!! As a tutor - would you be able ...[/quote]

Hi Again Sue

While you are waiting for Malcolm or other OU staff member to answer your question, allow me to add my 2 eurocents worth!

As far as I know (please Malcolm or other person 'in the know' correct me if I'm wrong) L120 is set at about A-level standard. It is designed to take you to level 2 which is undergraduate level. Certainly if you compare the content of L120 with the A-level syllabus, the content is very similar (both in topics covered and level).

In my opinion Sue, I don't think you would have much to gain by sitting an A-level before going on to L211. I think you would just be covering old ground. However, it might of course be useful revision and consolidation for you. But then you could do this by revising your L120 course materials and/or dipping into one of the commercially available 'off the shelf' language courses such as 'French Experience 2' or 'Breakthrough French 2 & 3'. It seems that you may be lacking confidence in your skills, so maybe passing an A-level on top of L120 would boost your confidence levels. But, the other side of the coin could be that whatever course you decide to follow in order to gain an A-level may not present the same standard of teaching, support etc. that you have come to expect from the OU, and could therefore ultimately destroy your confidence.

Finally, a point worth mentioning - on every language course I've studied with the OU there always appears to be a wide range of abilities. Some students appear completely fluent, whilst others definitely struggle much more than their peers. But, if you look at the course results, you will see that over 90% of those who complete L120, L211 or L310 obtain a pass. (See issue 226 of Sesame for 2004's course results.) So statistically you stand a very good chance of succeeding in L211 so long as you stay the distance.

Again, I hope my waffle helps you to decide.

Bonne chance!

Julie.

[quote]Hi Malcolm-Thanks for advice/encouragement. I probably didn't ask my tutor enough advice whilst doing L120 - a bit too independant at times, for what good it did me!! As a tutor - would you be able ...[/quote]

I don't teach on L120 so don't have detailed knowledge of it, but I'd say it's hard to compare with AS / A2 - it's different. That said, it precedes L211, which is definitely undergrad level, and I can't see much point in doing an A level before L211 if you have passed L120, since L211 is designed to follow on from L120. There is a very wide range of ability on most OU courses, and L211 is no different. There isn't really much new in terms of grammar - it's practice, and learning how to write / speak / think  in the French way! The TMAs are assessed 50% for quality of language, and 50% for content / structure / development of arguments etc. If you finish the course, I'm sure you'll pass, and if you have passed L120 then go for it!

Malcolm

[quote]Just out of interest, how much is each course for someone resident in France? Also, is it possible to do A level French from France?[/quote]

You can still do OU courses even if you are based outside the UK, but I think you have to pay a lot more on account of the government being unable to subsidize learning for non-UK residents. So the OU would have to charge you extra to compensate the amount they lose in government funding. I've heard that the fees are about double for overseas students, but I don't know for sure - you would need to check this directly with the University. However, there is an online version of L120 which is ideal for people located abroad or who are unable to attend tutorials in person.

I'm not sure about doing an A-level, but there are a multitude of correspondance courses available. Try the Learn Direct website http://www.learndirect-advice.co.uk/ for more information. However, I suspect that you will still encounter the same problem with regard to cost and government funding if you are not resident in the UK.

Julie.

Anybody wanting the books, tapes, videos, etc... for this French OU course?....Useful for vocabulary, listening to the linguo, reading, all kind of language purposes you may want and/or need.....

I have the whole lot (3 year program) for sale.

Give me a PM here and will negociate...

For those wishing to do the subject and are located outside of the UK the fee for the next start date of Febuary 2006 is £1580. It is in pounds as this is the only currency the OU accept.

Included in this is a compulsory one weeks residential school in Caen around July or August.

You can only pay the UK fee if you are a depentdant of someone who is paying Tax in England.

For those who cant make it to the UK for tutorials this course is also available as an online version with virtual tutorials via a lyceum programme. You still have to go to the residential school and the price is the same.

For Further information see www.open.ac.uk

• 2 weeks later...