Learning the Language!

Froggy Lou

Bonjour a tous!  I am new to the forums although have been a member for a while.  I really need help/advice in how I can improve my French - I've lived here (St Gildas des Bois - 44) for nearly 6 months and feel relatively comfortable with general day to day language but always lapse into English at the first opportunity!  I'm a stay at home Mum, my two girls are at school and I'm learning a certain amount from them but I really want to get much better.  My husband is French and I've tried learning from him but have failed - miserably!   Please tell me what's worked/what's not for you, - I'm not too good working alone so perhaps I should be going somewhere for lessons?

I've been known as Froggy Lou by my English girlfriends for years - any 'French' reading this should not be offended.

Hi

Just a couple of thoughts on this subject.

I'm a stay at home Mum, my two girls are at school

Now the girls are at school would it be possible to go to a local language school for formal lessons ? you would also have the support and cameraderie of other students there. Perhaps until you have settled in to the course and got a bit of confidence, you don't even need to tell your family ! Some people like the Michel Thomas tapes so perhaps the more advanced ones would be helpful. You could alway study these while tackle those boring, daily chores such as washing the floor or washing up

My husband is French and I've tried learning from him but have failed - miserably! 

[^o)] This sounds like the "husband teaching the wife to drive" syndrome, not usually a good idea!

Bon courage, do let us know how you get on.

Hi

Lessons would probably help a lot. I think it is probably the very best way to learn how to use the grammar and so be able to create and structure your own sentences.  The only possible drawback would be that you would be having them with English people. You are then 'at risk' of having  more English friends and acquaintances than French, and that won't help.

Things  I did/do that are helpful to me are, only watching French TV; listening to the radio in the car; following news stories that are repeated through the day, and then the following day finding them in French on the internet, and then doing translations. When i'm watching a film/soap i'll write down words and phrases in context and look them up afterwards. (Also, see TU's comments about usefulness of TV in the Postbag thread, 'it's the funny things you miss').

Recently I have been having fun trying to correct Babelfish translations of news stories and magazine articles. I also help a young French guy who is at college in England. Trying to understand why he has used certain words/phrases forces me to think in reverse and look words up.

I don't see many English people, probably once every six weeks. I don't see that many French people either, but most days I do, and none of them speak English - that helps too.

Good luck

I've got into learning the grammar - ugh - and sometimes I'm happy with it and other times well, I could just pack up and find somewhere English speaking to live.  But, as I'm unemployed and want to get a job the local afpa have been a great help and have enrolled me on various courses (free of charge).  It means doing loads of work, but with other french people, or others who are laerning.  There's only two others in my area who speak English, but we mostly speak french to one another.

It's worth looking at.  My french has improved a lot, but someone else has really struggled as their spoken french wasn't so good.

Bon Chance

Margaret

The thing that made the biggest difference for me was my kids being at school. I voluntered for as much as I could at school and chatted to other parents when waiting outside. I made friends so would end up visiting them and they me and voila, I had a social circle, and acquaintances.

I had hoped that this would have been my 'gateway' but so far it hasn't been.  I am quite friendly with one Mum and have done a lot there - we were both new to the school in Septemeber so that helped, we also both signed up for the APEL but this has been a nightmare - it's currently run by others who've been doing it a while and they've been less than receptive to us so far!!  A big problem for me has been the smokers - I don't and this has cut out a lot of Mums outside the gate as there seems to be a big smokers corner.  Have volunteerd to help at school - teaching English!!  but talking to the staff etc will obviously have to be in French.   Think I'm suffering from a loss of confidence at the moment which hopefully will pass.....   Thanks for your help & support.

Hi,

As well as our ideas which have already been mentioned...put up a sign in the village/supermarket/where ever offering to swap english conversation for french.

If you're thinking of looking for work at some point, get yourself registered as unemployed and ask for help with your french. There may be courses you can go to or you could do the home-study courses from l'afpa. I've done courses with them now for 7 months and that has helped my written french alot.

Is there a keep-fit class or something nearby? Going to that certainly improved my french for parts of the body! And of course there's chat before hand.

Good luck

Hi

Rather than getting your husband to teach you French, why not just  speak French at home for all or part of the time? This will also help your children improve their language skills more quickly. If you combine this with French television/radio you will have total immersion, which is the quickest way to learn. After all, this is the way we all learn to speak our own language.

Have just reread you post more carefully and realise that it was someone else who spoke of your husband "teaching" you. What have you  tried to do about learning from him or has he actually tried to "teach" you?

Best wishes.

Yes, we do try and speak french at home but we are very lazy and easily laspe into English!!  My husband is french and I have tried to learn with/from him but it does become very frustrating as he's not always very good at explaining 'why' and I feel as though I need to know to understand!!   I'm finding I'm better when out & about and seem to be coping ok an a day to day basis.  We are going to approach the apfa and see how they can help - does anyone know if I have to register as unemployed first in order to qualify for help?

As with everything, ther are good days and bad days - most of them are good!!

Thanks for your help - will keep you informed!

If you register as unemployed the l'afpa courses will be free and you may even get paid for doing them. You have to take a letter from l'anpe to them to show that it's been advised you work on your french. it's worth registering as there may be other free courses on offer in your area.