Future and Future Perfect forms of the subjunctive

EuroStar

[quote user="Sfgraveston"]

You need the subjunctive for the following (as very basic everyday examples)

Je pense que nous allions à Paris la semaine prochaine.

[/quote]Bad example.  You wouldn't use the subjunctive in that one.

One trick is to find ways of avoiding the subjunctive if you can.  There are quite a few.   For instance:

Il faut que tu saches ...

- could be replaced by:

Il te faut savoir ...

Another: 

Je ne crois pas qu'il soit capable ...

- could be replaced by:

Je crois qu'il n'est pas capable ...

or: je crois qu'il est incapable ...

One more:

Avant que le train ne parte ...

- could be replaced by:

Avant le départ du train ...

I think it's worth while to study this, as an alternative to learning a whole lot of subjunctive verb forms.

Twice raised from the dead!

But Allan makes a very good point.  The suggested alternative phrasing is what I normally hear and try to follow in everyday language and always seems simpler, yet more elegant, than using the subjunctive (which I haven't consciously used since my schooldays, though I do still recognise it when other people use it).

I agree that the subjunctive isn't that bad..;for example try using 'il faut que j'aille (à la banque) (aller) i've got to go (to the bank). If you can work out how one verb changes into the subjunctive and then try using it, even if only in the 1st person, then you'll get more confident. I use it quite often, mostly aller, être, voir, prendre, venir...and for most of the others I tend to say the subjunctive like the present and hope for the best...most people understand what you mean and some may correct you. I had a look on the About site, and the section on avoiding the subjunctive was interesting, using d' infinitive...will have to try it.

• 2 months later...

penser que does not take the subjunctive in a positive sentence - why would it, as there is no hint of uncertainty? But it does take the subjunctive in intrrigative and negative sentences:-

'Je pense qu'il est honnête'.

'Pensez-vous qu'il soit honnête?'

'Je ne pense pas qu'il soit honnête'.

M