savoir or connaitre ?

Pads

Thanks rose that does help .............[blink] until i ty to use it .........

In this sentance then I would use connaitre  yes/no ?

car c'est un pays qu'ils ne connait pas  du tout

because its a country they dont know at all. 

Does that look right ?

[quote user="Pads"]

heres another

sais -tu quand ils vont y aller ?

You know when there will go there?

I think sais , or does any one think connais ? 

[/quote]Alan's tip is right.  So yes, you are correct.  But I would never say sais-tu because it sounds horrible (although it's a personal thing, really).  Est-ce que tu sais... is rather better, or in conversation tu sais and raise the tone slightly at the end so that it's obviously a question, imo.

To remember the difference, it may help to know (savoir) that "savoir" also means "to be able to" do something, in the sense of knowing how:

Il ne sait pas nager = he can't swim (because he never learned)

- as opposed to -

Il ne peut pas nager = he can't swim (because there's ice on the pool)

I thought the link to france.about.com was good until I tried the test! I re-read the explanations then re-did the test & did much better the second time (too modest to give the score!) The situations that confuse me are when it's either "being familiar with something" which is connaitre or "knowing a fact" which is savoir. I have convinced myself that you can use both in the same sentence, e.g.

"Je connais les paroles de La Marseillaise mais je ne les sais pas." i.e. "I am familiar with the words of La Marseillasie but I don't know them (by heart)."

Is this acceptable?

Hi Pads

The latest issue of the French Accent magazine covers the topic of savoir/connaitre in detail - I would wholeheartedly recommend it.  The electronic magazine is not free any more (it used to be), but it is very much worth the small subscription fee in my humble opinion.

Best wishes

[quote user="crépuscule"]I thought the link to france.about.com was good until I tried the test! I re-read the explanations then re-did the test & did much better the second time (too modest to give the score!) The situations that confuse me are when it's either "being familiar with something" which is connaitre or "knowing a fact" which is savoir. I have convinced myself that you can use both in the same sentence, e.g.

"Je connais les paroles de La Marseillaise mais je ne les sais pas." i.e. "I am familiar with the words of La Marseillasie but I don't know them (by heart)."

Is this acceptable?

[/quote]

It wouldn't work in English, as you pointed out you'd have to add "by heart", you'd probably do the same in French if you used your example (employing the literal translation of  "by heart").

The only sort of exception I can think of is when you hear French people say "Oui, je le sais mais... blah blah blah"; not "je sais" but "je le sais".

I think it's like saying "I know all to well", or "I"m aware of the fact".  [:)]