Negation of prenominal verbs

Chancer

Sometimes I am speaking and what I want to say just doesnt sound right so I either stumble or dry up, I also have problems with asking questions and often cop out by using a rising intonation, this is often misunderstood and taken for a statement.

This example combines both weaknesses, I wanted to say "did you not realise?"

OK I know that "tu t'es rendu compte" is "you realised", and that probably I was making it harder with the negation when I could have tried saying "did you realise", but in either case I cannot find the words and "tu t'es rendu compte?" with a rising intonation doesn't seem right.

If anyone can help me with this I think it will unlock a lot of my verbal blockages!

Wihen speaking (as opposed to writing), you can skip the "ne".

In your example, you'd say "Tu t'es pas rendu compte?" or "T'as pas réalisé?", raising the intonation at the end of the sentence, as it's a question.

(you would write "Tu ne t'es pas rendu compte?" and "Tu n'as pas réalisé?")

I'd say "tu t'es pas rendu compte?" (or, if I'm being good and "doing it properly" then "tu ne t'es pas rendu compte?"). Depends who you're speaking to, but if you're tutoieing them then dropping the "ne" is probably fine.

Sorry cClaire, you got there first[:$]

Sorry again, I've developed a stammer.

Thanks

It was what I was trying to say but sounded weird, it looks only slightly less weird!

Yes I often hear them using the rising intonation it's just my attempts are not clear enough to them and I want to kick the habit before I start sounding like an annoying teenager!

Editted

I have just seen all the other responses, thanks a lot to you all.

I like Clair's "t'as pas realisé" best, much easier on the tongue.

It has just dawned on me after posting "I like clair's "t'as pas realisé" best" that realiser was actually the verb that I always used before learning rendre compte.

When I say learned, I realised (pun unintentional) that all my friends used rendre compte in the circumstances that I had used realiser, they seemed to understand me but I make many errors that whilst they understand they do not correct.

I stopped using realiser as I thought thereafter it meant to achieve something (la realisation)  rather than to become aware of something.

Looks like I was just making life harder for myself trying to fit in!