quel que soit

seb47

It may be the Jamie Oliver "whatever" but it's much more useful than that : as M says -

il travaille dans le jardin quel que soit le temps

he works in the garden whatever the weather  or  whatever the weather may be  or  in all kinds of weather

tu ne peux pas faire ça ici, quelle que soit la raison

you can't do that here, whatever the reason  or  no matter what the reason is  or  for any reason at all

Thanks Allanb - that's a really clear explanation. I'll be trying to fit that phrase in as much as possible - and more important - I will remember what it means.

Any follow on with commonly met colloquial phrases?

It is really not the Jamie Oliver whatever, because you can't say it on its own.  Before anybody tells me that you are not supposed to say whatever on its own either, that's not the point, "whatever" is said by others than J Oliver but quel que soit really can't be.

If you wanted to say the equivalent of "whatever" (as used in as dismissive manner), you could say "n'importe quoi!", which is short for "tu racontes n'importe quoi!"meaning "you're talking complete rubbish" or "you'd say anything".

Since we're on the subject, I have often wondered what the "final" whatever actually means.  It seems unfair to blame it on J Oliver, but I think it really means I'm getting bored with this conversation but I can't think of any intelligent way to end it.

[quote user="Clair"]If you wanted to say the equivalent of "whatever" (as used in as dismissive manner), you could say "n'importe quoi!", which is short for "tu racontes n'importe quoi!"meaning "you're talking complete rubbish" or "you'd say anything".
[/quote]

Clair, and allanb "I'm getting bored with this conversation but I can't think of any intelligent way to end it"

So dare I say that when Agen CPAM phone us to say they actually do want 2006 revenue and not 2007 as previously indicated?

[quote user="seb47"]

[quote user="Clair"]If you wanted to say the equivalent of "whatever" (as used in as dismissive manner), you could say "n'importe quoi!", which is short for "tu racontes n'importe quoi!"meaning "you're talking complete rubbish" or "you'd say anything".

[/quote]

Clair, and allanb "I'm getting bored with this conversation but I can't think of any intelligent way to end it"

So dare I say that when Agen CPAM phone us to say they actually do want 2006 revenue and not 2007 as previously indicated?

[/quote]

You only can decide whose need is more important... yours or theirs? [Www][:)]

[quote user="seb47"]... allanb "I'm getting bored with this conversation but I can't think of any intelligent way to end it"

[/quote]

You've lost me here.  I was referring to the British habit of saying "whatever" at the end of a sentence, with nothing to follow.

I can't imagine the CPAM ending a conversation by saying "whatever" in English!  What did they actually say?

As I understand it there are several ways of saying whatever (normal tone = nothing important, anything goes etc)
at the end of a statement, red or blue whatever (normal tone = it doesn't matter what colour etc)
and of course ''what . . ev. .er'' (dismissive, raising tone at end = what you have to say is irrelevant) !

[quote user="Tourangelle"]whatever is a lot more relaxed than n'importe quoi, which could really give offence!

[/quote]I'm not sure how n'importe quoi could give offence; it seems to me fairly normal French for "anything at all", "whatever you like", "it doesn't matter what", e.g. -

What shall we do this afternoon?  - Whatever you like! (or perhaps "whatever" on its own)

Qu'est-ce qu'on va faire cet aprĂšs-midi?  - N'importe quoi!

What would you like as a Christmas present?  - Anything will do!

Qu'est-ce que tu voudrais comme cadeau de NoĂ«l?  - N'importe quoi!

You can also use it in a complete sentence, so the second answer could be -

Je serai content de recevoir n'importe quoi.

I'll be happy to get anything at all.

(It may be a foolish thing to say, but I don't think it's offensive.)

OK...

Picture the scene...

Teenager being told something 'whatever...) by his mother. He thinks he knows better but does not have the verbal skills (or patience or knowledge) to express his opinion. He shuts down the conversation with "n'importe quoi!" and turns his head towards the telly...

or his mother walks away muttering "N'importe quoi..." shaking her head with frustration...